Chapter 32 - No Matter What

Wet. That's all I feel. Opening my eyes, all I see is white around us. That's when I realize that Peter caught me earlier and he must have had his parachute out. I feel around and quickly find his arms still wrapped around my waist. Grabbing onto him tightly, I fade both of us through the fabric and into the open water. I try to swim both of us to the surface, but it feels nearly impossible. 

Two bright lights float into the water and if I wasn't holding my breath I would've sighed in relief. Using all of my strength, I pull Peter's hand above water and the suit that floats above us grabs him. The other suit dives in and sucks my body in while closing up quickly. Taking in a deep breath of air, I fly back with the suit that now holds Peter in hand. 

I'm then ejected by the suit and the other lays a now conscious Peter on a spherical looking object. Sitting on the ground beside him, I cough up copious amounts of water and I can feel Peter's eyes on me. Dad's voice emits from the suit, and I can tell he's pissed. Peter and Dad talk back and forth. No matter how many times Peter tries to explain the situation to him, he still is just as angry. 

"And you," Dad says while his suit head turns towards me. "did you even attempt to hide your face during all of this?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't expect to apprehend alien weapon selling lunatics tonight." I reply, my voice dripping with sarcasm. 

"You shouldn't have apprehended them anyways." 

"Are you being serious right now? If we didn't go after them then they could've hurt someone else!"

"And that's not your load to bear. Look I know you've fought bigger wars but you shouldn't be seeking them out. It's too dangerous."

"Well, I'm sorry then! I fight those guys because I used to be one of those guys. And it's the only thing that makes me feel like maybe I can redeem myself." I say in tears while standing up and beginning to walk away. 

"Erin..." I hear his suit sigh but I continue to walk away with my arms securely wrapped around myself.

___________________

Peter and I sneak into his apartment, an odd silence between us. I quickly grab a dry pair of clothes as well as my pillow and blanket. 

"Where are you going?" Peter asks while taking off his suit.

"I'm sleeping on the couch." I say in a dead like tone. 

"Erin, don't do this." he says while gently holding both of my arms.

"Do what?" I say, the sight of his bare chest not affecting me this time. 

"Shut down and push me away." he tells me while gently lifting my chin upwards with his fingers. "You and your dad had a spat. It happens with May and me too. You two will figure it out, Erin. Just give him time to cool off."

"I feel like I keep making everyone mad or frustrated. But I don't know what to do." I admit.

"Well in this world, there's no pleasing everyone. That's where you have to make the decision. It's a cruel part of life but that's why we have friends...and boyfriends there to help us through them." Peter says with a smirk causing me to giggle softly.

"But you cannot just shut everyone out after a decision like that. It isn't good for you, Erin. And it makes me worry." Peter continues.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because I'm afraid of losing you." he tells me.

"And I'm afraid of losing you," I say. "But I promise I'll try to stop."