Chapter 9

Now this, this was child's-play. Hilary assigned me to SN5 (standing for Simulator Number 5) and once I found it, I stepped in. I've been in here for at least two hours and I have another hour left until the timer stops and all of us get a break before we go to a new simulator. Hilary ha assigned me the hardest ones. I wish it could be more difficult but I guess the five years of defending myself have paid off. The simulator I stepped in was a replica of a high-tech building. I had to get past hundreds of guards. This simulator doesn't let me use my powers so it's self defence for now. Then I need to figure out how to open a door to the laboratory where the Fortum is found. Another hour past and the simulator shut down after I successfully completed the mission.

Sweat was dripping off my forehead and I wiped it off with the back of my hand. I walked out of the cubical and to the mat where everyone was waiting. Emet was on the floor, heaving up last nights dinner probably. A bucket was placed beneath him and he hugged it as he kept throwing up. He was weak, that was for sure. But was he really weak enough that when Hilary assigned him to the easiest simulator, he couldn't cope? I really hope he won't jeopardize the mission.

I then looked over to Zach and Matt who were staring at me. I felt really sub-conscious, I must look a mess. I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked in the direction of Hilary. The sounds of Emet echoed all through the room and it was really making me sick. Hilary was looking at a watch on her wrist, like Matt's. "You all get a fifteen minute break for breakfast but first, let's see how your going."

She turned around and walked to a table in the corner with a computer and a printer thing. A piece of paper shot out of the printer and Hilary snatched it up. She read through what was on the paper and nodded to herself.

"The results. Emet, you are horrible at this." Everyone laughed quietly as Emet flipped Hilary off and returned to hugging his bucket. "Matt, your doing okay but you gotta stop staring at Krista's cubical. My goodness you should be training. Oh and same goes to you Zach, concentrate on your own simulator. But overall, Zach, you are doing well." The boys looked at each other and shot each a look. They are probably communicating in guy stares or something. "Now Krista. You are fantastic at this. Keep it up."

I think that's the closest thing I think Hilary has come to complimenting me. "But you all need to work on something. Emet, keep working on physical combat, a lot. Matt, work on your logical thinking. Jumping on the people to stop them will not work." Zach and I laughed as Matt rolled his eyes. "Zach, your fine, just keep practicing and you too Krista."

She finally dismissed us and all three of us walked to the dining hall. Zach's been placed in my dining hall, just great. Hilary stayed with Emet until he got better. She was really angry about that. We reached door number 90 and entered inside. John was already sitting at the table reading an old book. He looked up at us and smiled. "How was training?"

"Good," we sung as we grabbed food trays for ourselves. John noticed Zach. "You must be Zachary, I am very glad that you will be on the mission. You are a very gifted person." John complimented and I held in my laugh because of the way John used Zach's full name. "Thanks sir but call me Zach." He replied, Zach must really hate his full name. I sat down closer to the door by myself, just the way I like it, me, myself and I. I stared down at the food and my stomach rumbled, I haven't had a proper meal in ages. I was about to tuck in before Zach plonked his tray down next to me. "Go away," I muttered. He laughed as he sat down. "Never."

I groaned as I started eating but Zach was staring at me. "What?" Zach laughed again. "I'm just wondering why you don't drool over me like other girls?" I rolled my eyes. "Because I'm not other girls." Zach shrugged, "that's for sure." I looked down to the meal again and pushed it away from me, I wasn't hungry anymore.

Another ten minutes and we had to go back to training. This time, Hilary put me in SN1. It was the only simulator that I could test my powers out. We trained and trained with minimal breaks. Hilary gave us a lesson on self defence which I already knew. Emet felt better and continued training but he accidentally walked into my cubical and I set his shirt on fire, thinking he was part of simulator. He was fine but it was kind of funny watching his curly head run around the room screaming like a girl. Finally, it was 5pm, time for training to finish. Hilary informed us that we will be training tomorrow at 7am. At least I don't have to wake up early. She also mentioned something about going above the surface.

That made my ears perk up, I would like to see the destroyed Verto again. I walked through the tunnel to my room, not wanting to eat. My whole body ached from the training today, especially that I have never used my powers for that long. My hands felt like daggers had stabbed them and my head was spinning. My vision became blurry before I fell to the ground on all fours. I couldn't keep my eyes open and pain shot through every nerve in my body. What's wrong with me?

"Help!" I yelled out with as much energy I had left. This has never happened before. My arms gave way and I landed on the cold cement flooring and I hit my head. My eyes were battling to stay open. I yelled out another help before I heard footsteps coming my way. I rolled over onto my back and I saw a blurry face come into my vision. The person sat down next to me and carried me bridal style. I tried to recognise the face and my heart sped up as my vision sharpened for a second. It was Zach. I was about to ask him where he was taking me before the pain got to the better of me and I blacked out.

----

Teaser for chapter 10: Krista has a secret that she’s not sharing...Something happens to Verto which leads to a few plans for exploring.

Thanks for reading!!! To the right is Jennifer Lawrence, the actress who would play Hilary.

Hugs

HT12