Prologue

Sitting on a stool beside a bed where a girl, nine years of age, have been sleeping for the past week, was a man who would soon be known as Humanity's Strongest Soldier, Levi

Sitting on a stool beside a bed where a girl, nine years of age, have been sleeping for the past week, was a man who would soon be known as Humanity's Strongest Soldier, Levi. But, at the moment, he was not a soldier, he was a father wishing for his daughter to wake up. A broken man who lost everything, his friends, his lover... and he can't lose the only thing believed he did right.

This was never supposed to happen...

He reached for his daughter and caressed her frail hand. He never saw it before, but the moment he brought her to the surface, it was evident that she was far from what a healthy child should be. Maybe it was her illness that she had for the past few weeks, but Levi knew that his daughter has looked like this even before she got sick. Even before he left for his job.

if I just stood by her then... then this would never have happened... I'm so sorry, Maria...

His former lover's words rang in his mind, the day he found out of the most unexpected surprise he would ever get in his young days. How could he forget, it was the day that changed his life.

"I'm pregnant."

Levi couldn't believe what he was hearing. His eyes, which were always in a glare and calm, were now full of shock as he stared at the woman with red hair and blue eyes, standing before him with such news. This wasn't what he expected; they were careful – he made sure of it! But knowing that the woman has only slept with one man since their little affair started, he had no doubt that the child was his.

"Maria... I –"

What could he say? He wasn't ready? That he was only nineteen – too young to be a father? But this was fault as well, so he has to live with it—

"I won't force you to take responsibility." The woman – Maria, said. "I'll raise the child alone, but if you want, you could still be a part of its life... I won't argue with that; it is yours too."

Levi said nothing. He just looked at Maria's flat abdomen, which he was sure would grow as time goes on.

"Well, that's all I wanted to say..." Maria said. "I'll be on my way."

"Where are you going?" Levi asked.

"Home."

"But what about –"

"Just because we're going to have a child, Levi, doesn't mean we'll be living in the safe roof. I'll go on with my life and you go on with yours... nothing else, just like you said..."

He saw through her words... he knew what she wanted to do, but for some reason, he didn't.

"Right... I'll do what I can to help... I'm sorry if I put you in this situation." He said.