018 || love

•••

•••

My tears ceased as Natasha spoke the two words I didn't want to hear.
"No" I whimpered, my hand resting on my stomach
"This is a good thing - think of how happy Clint is going to be" Natasha said, confused at my reaction
"The man - he said I was pregnant. He said that he was going to use my baby to restart the Red Room program" I whispered, scraping my hair back in stress
"What - Red Room?" Natasha repeated, her voice faltering.
I nodded, "he said you used to be one of them - that it was Clint's fault you turned against them"
"He saved me from their brainwashing - they shaped me into an assassin from birth" she admitted in a haunted tone.
"Oh god" I whispered, placing my hand on her arm comfortingly.
"so that man really was with the KGB. They plan to restart the program?" She ranted "we have to get back before Fury leaves"
She suddenly pushed down on the gas pedal, sending the truck shooting forward.

"You're baby is going to be fine Grace, though I would tell Clint. This has always been his dream" Nat said as she drove madly down the country roads, pulling up at the farm in no time.
She pressed the test into my hands with a smile, before rushing out to stop Fury from stepping into the helicarrier.

Taking a deep breath, I clambered out of the passenger seat and walked back inside, almost running into Clint who was stood anxiously by the door.
"Are you okay?" He asked, hesitating before moving towards me as if he was scared I'd run away.
"Yeah" I answered quietly, handing him the test, "I think so"
Clint looked at me quizzically before focusing on the positive pregnancy test he held in his hands.

"You're - Oh my god" he said, looking up at me with a big grin "this is amazing!"
He wrapped me in a hug, pressing multiple kisses over my face causing me to giggle.
"I love you so much" he mumbled as he pulled me closer to his chest.
"That's the first time you've said that" I coughed awkwardly, looking up at his face.
"I meant it"
"I love you too" I grinned.

•••

"I'm just worried they'll come back - what if they come for the baby" I stressed, looking at Fury earnestly.
"We could move you to another safe house -"
"No. This is our home. Besides it didn't really work last time did it" Clint said firmly, his arm wrapped around my hip protectively "but their threat was real. I would like to request someone guards the house while Nat and I track the rest down"
Natasha nodded, stepping to Clint's side.
"We can take them down like we did with the rest. They stepped over a line today" she said.
"If that's what you want. I'll stay here personally to protect her, with Coulson of course. She'll be safe" Fury said in a level tone.

"Are you sure?" I asked concerned, looking at the two assassins.
"We have to make sure you're safe" Clint said, "besides, it's a job we need to finish"
"We thought we had all of them" Natasha agreed "but a few got away. Whilst there are still KGB agents left the world isn't safe"
"Okay" I whispered, pulling the two into a hug.
"It'll be okay" Nat reassured me "We'll be back before you even know we're gone"

•••

"Thank you for this" I said
"It's no problem, truly" Coulson smiled at me "congratulations on the baby by the way"
"Thank you" I grinned "it was totally by accident - don't tell him that though"
"You think it's a boy?"
"I think it will be yeah"
"Well - mother knows best in these situations" he jested.

I then turned to Fury who was sitting quietly at the kitchen table.
"Fury - I have some things to say to you" I said, sitting down opposite him, "firstly, thank you for staying and helping me"
He waved me off, "it was nothing"
"Okay now down to the issues. I did try and call you a few weeks back but Carson wouldn't let me through" I said, ignoring Coulson's subtly trying to tell me to stop, "but you're completely overworking Clint and Nat. Sending them on week long missions with only a few days break? That can't be moral - it's damaging, mentally and physically. Just the lack of sleep alone can cause them to deteriorate - memory loss, not to mention the cardiovascular, muscular and biomechanical changes to the body. And that one time, Clint came back basically carrying Nat into the house because you insisted she go back on a mission before her gunshot wound had properly healed! Do you even care about their health? You can't keep pushing them so hard!"

"Are you done?" Fury asked, seeming unimpressed.
"For now" I huffed, slouching back in my chair.
"I stick with what I said last time we met, I like you" he chuckled.
"Geez thank you Bam-Bam Bandit" I snorted
"Did you just -" Coulson squeaked
"Zip it cheese. If Calamity Jane here wants to play, we'll play" Fury said, a small smirk pulling at his lips.
"Bring it Sir Barksalot"
"Alright Cruella De Vil"
"Twat waffle"
"Cupcake"
"Shortstop"
"Little Lady"
"Assbucket"
"Princess"
"Chuck Norris"
"Maleficent"
"Ivan the terrible"
"Doll face"
"Buttplug breath"
"Stormaggeddon"
"Sasquatch"
"Buffy"
"Hannibal Lecter"
"Angel face"
"Dick Fury"

Coulson snorted, as I smirked at Fury.
"I bet you're proud of that one, huh"
"Why yes I am Penisaurus Rex"
Fury let out a deep chuckle, "Okay, okay. You may have won this battle, but I will win the war"
"Sure" I smirked.