⟅Chapter 21⟆The Truth

This will be in third person

JANUARY 1993
NATALIE DAVIS

"How does it taste? you like that?!". "Hell yeah Nat! You put it down" She smirked as De continued to eat. As he ate, she found herself staring at him and his beautiful features. His lips, the perfect hue of his eyes, his bone structure, his–. "Nat! What's wrong?" De interrupted her thoughts, making her snap back into reality.

"Nothing you just got a little bit of sauce on the corner of ya mouth" He took his napkin and wiped the corners of his mouth. She walked away and made herself a plate of her chicken parm, thinking about how she really felt about him. Yes, she had been feeling him since day one, but she never wanted to make her move because it could ruin their friendship. Little did Natalie know; he felt the same way.

"So...you wanna help us plan our album release party?" Devante asked as he began washing his dish. "You don't– I want to Nat. I've got this–" He said politely dismissing her. "And to answer your question, yeah I'll help you guys" He smiled and continued to wash the little bit of dishes in sink, which made Natalie's heart swell. She walked over to the radio and turned it on, making Prince's 'I Wanna Be Your Lover' fill up the silence.

"This....is....my...songggg" Natalie said in between singing. Devante looked back and chuckled as she did a simple two step to the song. The song then changed to Womack and Womack's 'Baby I'm Scared of You' , and Natalie grew more excited.

"De! Come dance with me! You know this is our song!" Natalie exclaimed as she tugged in his bare arm. Devante wanted to decline because he didn't want to embarrass himself, but when he saw Natalie's big smile, he couldn't say no to her. He turned off the faucet and dried his hands before joining her.

They danced, they sang, and they laughed until they grew tired. They were sprawled out on Natalie's couch and catching their breaths, when the doorbell rang. "I got it" Devante said while getting up and answering the door.

"Wassusp Nat– what the fuck are you doing over here?" Elgin spat as he eyed Devante up and down. "Minding my business. Why are you here?" Devante asked as he barely let Elgin step through the door. "I'm here to see my girl, tryna make things right. Aye Natalie!" He pushed the door wide open and began looking for Natalie. 'This motherfucker...' De whispered as he shut and locked the door, and followed Elgin.

Natalie came out of the kitchen with two water bottles, and handed Donald one. She walked past Elgin, grabbed Donald's hand, and pull him over to the couch. "So you just gone walk past me? No hi or nothing?" Elgin asked. It was clear that he was  hurt that Natalie ain't pay him no mind. "Can I help you Elgin, matter of fact let me call my sister and Tonya to come collect ya ass" Natalie said and Elgin's eyes widened, how did she know?

"Yeah I know. I know that Tonya's son ain't even De's. He's your's, looks just like you too." She said as she got up from the couch, making her way over to him. "And my nephew....he's your's too" She said and he nodded. Tears began to well up in Natalie's eyes, she loved him so much, she wanted to be the first one to have his child.

"Why did you have to cheat?! Was I not enough for you?! Was my sister better than me, huh?! Tonya too?!" Natalie yelled. The hot tears poured out of her eyes as she thought about him being with her sister and best friend.

"Nat, baby. You were more than enough for me. I was dumb! I didn't realize that I had the perfect woman! Please, I'm begging you, give me another chance" Elgin got on his knees and hugged her legs. Devante just sat back and watched, letting Natalie handle her own. But if he had a say in this, he'd tell Elgin to kick rocks.

"Nah....I can't forgive you. You won't have me looking like boo boo the fool. It's time for you to leave." Natalie whispered as she slid away from him. Elgin looked up at her and looked over at Devante. "You're in love with him, aren't you?! Don't lie to me Natalie" Elgin spat. She didn't answer him, she couldn't. How did he know?

Elgin just looked at the both of them and chuckled. He got up off of the floor and began walking out of the living room. He stopped and said, "You two have nice time together, I wish you both nothing but the best. And Natalie, if things don't work out between you and him, you know where I be at" And with that, he left, leaving Devante and Natalie in silence. Natalie turned to look at Devante, who got up and walked over to her.

"Donald, I–." He cut her off with a kiss. It felt like all her problems went away that very moment. Their lips parted and he spoke, "Get some rest Nat, we can talk about this tomorrow". She nodded and went to her room, while he stayed on the couch.

Now they both know the truth.

Natalie can never catch a break😭.