Chapter 12

*Flashbacks in bold*

After almost two long weeks, she finally got the answers to all the questions she had on Shahroze's refusal. After two long weeks, he finally got the calming news that she was safe and well. They were the same. Their love was the same. But time wasn't. The place wasn't, and the circumstances wasn't either. Two weeks may have gone past slowly but a lot had changed since then.

He was not healthy anymore. And she was not his anymore. She was married. Someone else's wife, someone else's companion. That feeling called love was still there between the two but they weren't allowed to embrace it anymore. As much as it hurt, as much as it was tough, but they accepted it, nevertheless.

Both of them didn't realise how long it had been since Rudaba entered his room. Time was ticking fast and there was so much to say. She wanted to ask, and he wanted to tell. She wanted to hold on, but he wanted to let go. The love was there, but it wasn't for them anymore.

"Koi baat nahi karogi?"

It was him. He started the conversation. She just passed him a sad smile as if finding his comment amusing but also painful. Moving closer to the bed he was resting on, she pulled the chair and sat right next to him.

The physical distance had lessened but that didn't matter now. Things were different even if they were the same.

"Baatein tu buhat si hain karne ko..."

"Magar waqt nahi hai."

She started the phrase, but he interrupted it and completed it for her. And it hurt. It hurt, more than the two expected that it would.

"Tumhari tabiyat kaisi hai ab?"

"It is not important. What's more important is that you came, and I saw you. Ab theek hun mein."

"Mujhe bataya kyun nahi? Yahan akeley sab bardasht kia, kyun? Apni muhabbat per yakeen nahi tha ya mujh per?"

"Muhabbat per aur tum per yakeen tha isiliye nahi bataya. Per zindagi per yakeen nahi tha."

She had felt a lump in her throat. Tears were slowly paving their way to her eyes and it was become evident with every passing second. She looked away trying to hide that she was crying but he was no fool. It didn't go unnoticed by him. He was in pain, he knew. But seeing him in pain was the cause of her pain and discomfort, that he also knew. The former was fine for him to bear, the latter wasn't. Her discomfort, tears or pain never did any good with him.

"Tum khush ho?"

His question was direct, and she knew what he meant. He knew the answer and she did too. But she was willing to lie if it gave him any form of calm or peace.

"Haan. Buhat khush hun."

"Jhoot."

"Nahi."

"Phir jhoot. Tum khush nahi ho. Yeh mein jaanta hun. Magar mujhe yakeen hai tumhari agli zindagi khushiyon se bhari hogi. Agar us waqt mein tumhe khush deikhne ke liye zinda na hua toh tu koi baat nahi, wahan uper se tumhe deikh ke khush hojaounga. Isliye abhi jhoot na bolo."

"Aisa kyun kia?"

"Tumhare liye."

"Apne liye kabhi kuch kia bhi hai?"

"Haan kia hai. Tumhe abaad deikhna, khush deikhna aur mehfooz deikhna mere sakoon aur araam ki wajah hai. Aur mein aj buhat araam aur sakoon mein hun."

"Shahroze, theek hojao. Please. Please, theek hojao."

"Mein theek hun. Tumhe deikh key bilkul theek hun."