1

I left school with nothing on my mind but getting home and taking a nap. My little brother, Ponyboy, had track after school so I was stuck walking home alone. I didn't really mind though, what did I have to lose? If I get jumped, I get jumped. If they kill me, then oh well.

I started walking, getting almost to my road when I heard a Mustang slowing down behind me.

"Where you headed, greaser-girl?" One of the prissy boy's asked.

"None of your damn business, go away." I said, looking him dead in the eyes.

"Oh, she's feisty. I bet we could have some fun with her." Another one said, his buddies laughing.

"Listen, I'm not in the mood for this bullshit. Jump me or drive away." I said, dropping my backpack as they opened their doors. "Are we gonna fight fair one-on-one or are you all going to gang up on me?"

"What do you think, sweetheart?" One of them said before landing a punch right in my mouth. The punch made me step back a bit before I spit out blood and swung back, my fist connecting with my attacker's eye.

I lasted for a few more punches before I was held back and used as a punching bag. I didn't mind it, really. Letting myself get jumped was just another form of self-inflicted torture I used.

After a few more minutes, Dally and Johnny came running at them, Dally with his blade in his hand. "Get the fuck outta here! Go!" He yelled, chasing them away from me.

As Dally ran after them, Johnny knelt beside me. "Are you okay, Katie?" He asked softly, looking at my blood-covered face.

"Oh I'm just fine, Johnnycakes." I said, giving him a small smile as Dally came back and offered me a hand, pulling me to my feet.

"What the hell are you doing, kid? Trying to get yourself killed? Huh?" He asked me, giving me the protective I-don't-want-anything-to-happen-to-you look that he saved for Johnny, Pony, and I.

"What a shame that'd be." I mumbled low enough so Dally couldn't hear me, Johnny giving me a side glance.

"What?" Dally asked before shaking his head and pulling out a handkerchief from his back pocket and holding it out. "Here."

"Thanks." I said, grabbing it and wiping the blood from my face the best I could without a mirror.

We began walking to my house, Johnny and I remaining silent as Dally lectured us about walking alone. "...and I'm not always going to be there to run in and safe your ass."

"Oh yes, Dally, my hero. How will I ever survive without you running in and scaring off my enemies?" I said dramatically, receiving an eye roll.

"Well, Whatever, man. I'll let you get killed next time." He said, all of us knowing he wasn't serious; Dally's heart was bigger than his mouth.

"Go ahead." I muttered under my breath as we got to my house. We went inside and found Two-Bit on the couch.

"What the hell happened to you, Katie-girl?" He asked, his eyes wide in concern.

"Socs. But don't worry, my big hero Dally saved the day again!" I said sarcastically, earning a chuckle from Two-Bit.

"Shut up, kid." Dally said with an eye roll before going on the porch and lighting a cigarette.

"I'm going to go shower and get the blood off of me before Darry and Soda get home and panic." I told Johnny and Two.

I went into my room and grabbed some clean clothes and one of my blades before heading into the bathroom and locking the door.

I peeled off my dirty clothes and paused before getting in the shower. I picked up my sharp silver blade and cut line after line in my left wrist, watching the blood bubble up to the surface and eventually drip down my arm.

I only stopped after I cut one too deep and I could faintly see my vein. By that time, I had about fifteen cuts on my arm.

I turned on the water and jumped in the shower, the water burning the fresh cuts but not bothering me at all. I liked it. I deserved it. Pain was all I deserved.

I used my shampoo, the only girly scented one in the house, and rubbed it in my hair before allowing the water to rinse it out. I watched as the soap and water mixed with the fresh blood on the shower floor before flowing down the drain, gone forever, like I would be one day, but not yet.

Once I was done, I dried off, careful to not get blood on the towel. I used a big bandaid to cover my fresh cuts before pulling on a clean pair of sweatpants and a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt I had stolen from Two-Bit years ago.

I wrapped the blade in my dirty clothes before heading to my room, tossing the clothes in my hamper and placing the blade back in my closet.

Then I proceeded to go back to the living room as if everything was fine because that's what I did.