Chapter 38

Kyle

"Huh, it's been awhile." I spoke my thoughts aloud, thumb and pointer finger caressing my chin. I watched Jaise as he put the remainder of the gym equipment away, which was a two man job I sort of left him to do alone.

He turned to look at me from over his shoulder, a confused yet frustrated look covering his features. "A little help would be good buddy," he chuckles, wiping away at his forehead using the back of his hand.

Snapping out of my dazed out state, I jump back into helping him arrange the equipment closet so that the door would actually shut. After ramming a few benches and bags of posts away etc, it wasn't long before the doors shut with ease.

It's always a job no one necessarily wants to do seeing as the moment practice is over, all your mind can seem to think about is a nice hot shower to cool off and rid of the sweat drenching your body. However, coach has always just randomly dedicated two players each practice to put the equipment away, to stop complaining and make the job easier for everyone.

"Eh, what were you on about? 'It's been awhile'?" Jaise goes on to mention as we relocate back to the changing rooms.

I shrug, positioning my hands ready at the bottom of my shirt to fling it off the moment we enter the room. "Since us boys hung out." I lamely finished, meeting Jaise's wondering eyes as I did.

Just as we reach our belongings, I see Jaise's clogs turning in his mind as he thinks over what I've said, and what he should reply to it. As he does that, once disposing of my sweaty, musk filled top of course, I retrieve my phone from my bag, dimming the screen as far as it'll go so I can respond to anything Jameson may have sent.

'I'm fucking sorry to ask, but can I stay yours again? Dad's messaged...'

A ball formed in my throat, stomach knotting as i read the text over a second time. Shit.

"True I suppose. I mean, I'm down to grab some food or play video games at one of our places anytime honestly. My parents are driving me insane about college choices." Half of what he said went out over my head a little due to the fact of me partly wondering what Jay's father said and why he's contacted after so many weeks. Where'd the fucker even disappear to anyway? And why'd he bother even coming back?

I nod slowly, making it very obvious I wasn't fully there. I could see in the corner of my eye how Jaise was looking at me with a confused state, but he left the situation in pure silence as did myself. Eventually, he turned his back as he resumed to prepare his things for the showers.

I locked my phone after simply not knowing what to reply back, though I needed to think of something quick, I know what leaving Jameson wondering can do to his little worrying mind.

"Just uh, let me know man." Jaise left it as he walked away, towel hanging over one shoulder as he rounded the corner.

A small breath left my lips as I ended up alone, knowing it wouldn't be long before the first couple of boys finished up their rinses. I placed my phone back in my jacket, scurrying to change back into my normal clothes for the day.

What would I say to mum about Jamie staying over again? Would she think twice about the situation? Think nothing of it? Fuck does that really rise as one of my main concerned right now? No. Not at all.

After finally jumping into my jeans after a struggle due to my sweatiness, I slip my shoes on, heels hanging out the back as I slip into my jacket.

Within moments I am out the door, possibly unfinished depending if coach wanted to say a few words before anyone left. Either way, I'm out before anyone returns from the showers and there's certainly no intentions of me going back.

I didn't fail to notice the lack of Jay's presence in the gym when me and Jaise were taking equipment back, hence why I felt the need to rush to get out of there. Especially if coach did want any words, sometimes the guy can talk for days at the end of practice.

Either way, I needed to know of Jameson's presence and whereabouts right now, not want, need. I need to for my own racing mind to calm before I bust myself through his front door, demanding I know where he is to his piece of shit father. Yet, I know that probably wouldn't resolve the issue in the most sensible way in which Jamie would want me to.

'Where are you?'  I speed text as I hurry my walk home, or in that case wherever I need to go to meet him.

My heart rate quickens the longer I walk and the longer it takes for him to reply. The only thing suffocating my thoughts is the thought of that shitty, so-called 'father' of his laying a damn finger on his body. I know it's happened before and I know when Jameson lies of it once asked about the marks scattering his pale body. The aftermath of what that monster can do to his own flesh and blood is repulsing. That same pale, young skin upon which I lay my own marks which are produced purely from affection and passion. Shit, what if me marking him reminds him of horrible situations he's been in with his father? What if he's too scared to tell me he doesn't like it? Oh my god, what if-

"K-Kyle?"

My head snaps, phone close to slipping from the grip of my fingertips as my body jolts to a halt.

Turning in what felt like slow motion, my heart dropped to my feet at the sight I laid my eyes upon. I was barely off the same street in which the school was on as Jameson fought his balance in attempt to stay upright on his own two feet. Tears stained his cheeks along with what appeared to be his own blood. His hair was left in a state in which I hadn't seen it before - knotted and pulled. Fresh marked bruises covered his body, almost looking like giant polka dots which rose up due to the swelling which was no doubt throbbing all over.

His face - oh lord my poor baby's face. One eye was so swollen it couldn't open due to the sheer damage inflicted upon the one area. The other stared at me, fresh tears forming the longer I stood there in a shocked stance. Both of his beaten arms clung around his own torso, trying his best to find comfort within himself in attempt to escape the memories of the scarring scenario which had not long taken place.

Forgetting the existence of my mobile in hand, I allow it to fall to the ground without a flinch as I approach my struggling and clearly weak boyfriend. I wrap my arms around his smaller figure just in time as his legs stop providing him any support, collapsing into my bare arms.

"We're going to the police." I state, looking at the fragile figure which relied on me to even stay upright. Okay, definitely to the hospital first.