Dutch Van der Linde: I've Got You

Dutch Van der Linde X Female Reader

Summary: Dutch saves the Reader from drowning

Word Count: 1700

You and Dutch had been tiptoeing around each other for a while now, a compliment here and there, some subtle flirting (sometimes not so subtle) but it had never gone any further than that. But, today he invited you to take a trip out of the camp with him. He had never done that before but he had asked you to go fishing with him. If it was anyone else you would have politely turned them down since you don't fish and being out on open water like that made you a little nervous since you can't swim, but it was Dutch so you said yes because you wanted to spend some time with him.

You rode to the water on the back of Dutch's horse, just enjoying having a reason to be so close to him. He hitched the horse before you both walked over to the boat that sat on the edge of the water, you couldn't help but notice that there wasn't any fishing rods around. He held out his hand to you, which you happily took, as he helped you into the boat. It wasn't longer before you were both in the boat, sitting opposite each other, and Dutch was rowing away from the shore. Once the boat was in the centre of the lake, Dutch stopped and let it float on top of the water.

"I thought you wanted to go fishing" you hummed with a small smile, pointing out that there wasn't any fishing supplies here.

"Ah, I'm not much of a fisherman. Would you be mad if I told you I lied to get you out here with me?" Dutch asked with a smirk, already knowing that you had no problem with it at all.

"Of course not, I'm flattered" you smiled, tucking some hair behind your ear and you glanced towards the water.

"Well, now that we are alone I feel like I can talk honestly with you" Dutch started, smiling at you as he reached over and took one of your hands in his. "You're a beautiful woman, Y/N, I'm sure that I've told you that many times now. But not only are you beautiful, you are intelligent and kindhearted. You're special and I find myself falling for you more and more each day" he admitted. This was the first time he had ever said anything like that to you and you were certain that your cheeks were a soft pink by now. Dutch was confident that you returned his feelings, since you had both be flirting every chance you got, which is why he felt so comfortable to tell you how he felt.

"Dutch I...I feel the same way" you smiled, a little in disbelief about his confession but you couldn't be happier about it.

"Come here" Dutch encouraged as he held out his other hand for you to take as well.

"What?" you asked, not sure what he wanted you to do.

"Just come here" he chuckled as he took both of your hands in his.

"I dunno, Dutch. The boat is very large or very steady, and I can't swim" you told him and you shifted closer to the edge of your seat.

"Don't worry, I've got you" Dutch assured you as he gently pulled you towards him.

You nod as you take his hands and carefully stand up in the boat, feeling a little nervous as you felt the boat rock underneath you. Your grip tightened on his hand as you stepped forward. Dutch smiled as he stood up, but when he stood up, he lost his footing. He accidentally placed his foot down on a strange angle which caused the boat to rock harder. Dutch fell back down onto the seat and the rocking of the boat pushed you right over the side of the boat.

Dutch knew that you couldn't swim, you had just said it after all, so as soon as he saw you trip over the side of the boat, he panicked. He knelt down in the boat and leaned over the edge, reaching out to you but he couldn't reach you.