One

"Do you ever want to run away and start over? Wipe the slate clean. Begin all over again with a blank canvas? It's okay, we all feel that way sometimes. It doesn't mean you don't love you life or the people in it. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't give your last breath to see them happy. Sometimes we yearn to be selfish, it means we have been selfless for too long." 

Lang Leav

"You're distracted," Jack growled after my back had slammed into the dirt for the fifth time that morning, my neck arched towards him in defeat.

"Why can't I train with the rest of the pack?" I groaned, not bothering to stand. I was squinting from my position on the ground, my hand framing my sweaty brow against the glare of the sun. It was early in the morning, the rest of the pack had just begun to train, and the rising sun had settled behind Jack with a warm glow. He seemed so regal from down here, stood so tall and strong despite the sweat that covered him and the heavy rise and fall of his chest as he panted. He was cast in a halo of gold, untouchable. As he always was.

What a sight I must be in comparison, panting and hunched, in my usual worn training gear, cheeks surely flushed bright red and my red hair in disarray. Jack never seemed as dishevelled as I always did. Though I supposed that came with being Alpha, his position always demanded he seem tough and resilient. It would do him no good to be seen being bested by me in hand to hand combat, on the days where I could keep my head on straight that is.

Jack sighed at my question, head stooping. He was tired of me asking, as I did every time we trained. But the desire to push myself harder and further never ceased. Our training together had become stagnant. I knew Jack's style, his routine, down to a 'T'. Sure, it was hard as hell to spar with him, an Alpha Male wolf, but it didn't challenge me like it used to anymore.

"You know why." He shook his head, hand outstretched to pull me to my feet. "Come on, get up, one more round before I have to help the rest of the pack with training."

This is why I so desperately wanted to transfer to Colorado, hopefully with them there wouldn't be this constant separation. Hopefully I would be able to train with them.

I scoffed, dusting myself off and shaking out my legs, prepared to deliver him a real beating. The last round was always the best, it was my last chance to earn bragging rights for the day and I never held back.

Jack rolled his eyes at the sly smirk that curled across my lips. Of course, he already knew I was about to give my all. He cracked his neck, a smirk of his own forming to mirror mine. He enjoyed training with me just as much as I him. He always said how refreshing it was to have someone in the pack who wouldn't hold back, fearful of the consequences should they best him - not that anyone other than Eli perhaps, ever could. Even then it hadn't happened since Jack officially took up his position as Alpha. I had only bested him a handful of times and that was only in hand to hand combat. No one beat Jack in wolf form.

"If I land ten hits, I get to train with Eli tomorrow," I bartered.

"Not a chance."

"Come on," I groaned, not above stomping my foot on the ground like a child, "He's the pack trainer, I won't get injured."

"I said no, and that's final." Jack's expression was stern.

I held back my scream of frustration, feeling the anger bubble away within me. Keeping my shoulders still, I stepped forward with a quick jab from my left - which Jack easily blocked - before swinging with my right. My punch landed with a solid crunch, even if he caught the following knee I'd aimed straight for his gut.