john shelby: stress management. [smut warning]

You understood the risks of being infatuated with your boss's sibling yet you found yourself crossing the line far too many times. You often told yourself that it was nothing but a bit of fun, that John would eventually get bored of sneaking around with his nephews' nanny and would move on with someone who could provide him with stability. There were times though when you would find yourself thinking of John before you slept, picturing the future the two of you could have together if it was acceptable to date such a feared and dangerous man.

It wasn't just Tommy that got in the way of the relationship blossoming, your parents were just another added factor which halted the growing relationship before it could even start. They had been completely against you working for Tommy Shelby, claiming that it would not look good to future employees if you had been associated with a well-known criminal but their tune changed when you received your first wage, the judgement was still there, just better hidden than before.

Secret kisses when no-one was looking was the only form of affection you received from John when everybody else was over at the Shelby's for either meetings, family dinners or celebrations. A few stolen kisses shared when John went up to spend some time with his favourite nephew, an excuse to spend some time with his favourite girl. John had snuck you away during the wedding for a couple of hours, business over-taking Tommy's mind so he didn't notice the sudden disappearance of his nanny and younger brother but Tommy was not a fool and he knew everything that was going on underneath his roof.

Tommy had made a few comments to John, light remarks that indicated that something was going on between John and yourself but John never picked up on them and when Tommy questioned him and asked why he was staying over so much, John would just shrug his shoulders and claim that he had missed his brother and wanted to spend time with him. Every single night though, John would sneak off to your room in the middle of the night where he would stay until the early hours of the morning, touches exchanged and pleasure given as he gave you the best you had ever had.

You loved John and he loved you but things were not ideal. The death of Grace had changed things drastically. All of your time was now with Charlie, Tommy still struggling to face his son due to the guilt he felt and seeing John had become your second priority. The house was quieter and everyone felt lonely, Grace the only person in the Shelby family [apart from John] to make you feel like you were one of them, more of a friend than an employee. Even though you were also grieving the loss of Grace, you had to focus on your job and you couldn't have John distracting you all the time.

You stayed away from him when he came around to check on his older brother, taking Charlie up to see the horses so you didn't have to face your secret lover. It was guilt that you felt the most but you couldn't bring yourself to face him, terrified that you would only find yourself falling deeper for John and you weren't prepared for the heartbreak you would feel when the relationship officially came to an end.

Loud shouting that came from Tommy's office was your first sign that John was in the house, his voice bellowing through the hallways as he continued his screaming match with his brother. All you wanted to do was listen in and comfort John, the anger in his voice noticeable as he tried to get his point across to Tommy to no avail.

The sound of Tommy's office door slamming shut had you wandering out of one of the downstairs rooms and into the hallway, secretly hoping and praying that John would turn the corner as he attempted to find you and as if God was on your side, it was only a minute later that you heard the familiar footsteps of John. Too engrossed in the argument he had shared with Tommy, he barely noticed you in the doorway of one of the rooms until you spoke up and even then, he barely recognised your voice.

"Who has upset you?" you asked, body turning to follow John's as he stormed down the hallway, his footsteps heavy against the wooden floors. "John - "