Ch. 1

Tony Stark was losing his mind.

Officially.

The billionaire dragged his hand through his hair. "I can't do this Pep! I'm not a dad!"

The redhead gave him a sweet smile. "Yes you are."

Tony waved his arms frantically. "Since when? I can't be a dad to a six year old!"

She pursued her lips. "DCS is waiting, and we need to head straight there. The foster home was incapable, and they're trying to find any relatives. Apparently you're who showed up for the DNA tests."

Tony dropped his head into his hands. "What's his name?"

Pepper glanced at the file. "Peter. Peter Parker. Cute kid."

Tony looked up. "What does he look like?"

Pepper handed him the photo that had been pinned to the inside of the folder.

He took it carefully, studying the boy. "How, Pep? How am I going to do this?"

She squeezed his shoulder. "You're not helpless with kids, Tony. Didn't you tell me about that Keener boy?"

Tony dragged his hand over his face. "That is so different Pepper..."

She tossed him the keys. "They're waiting. I'll be in the car."

-------------

Tony stepped into the room where the social worker was waiting.

She stood up with a quick smile, holding out her hand. "Hi. I'm Jennifer. Tony Stark, I presume?"

Tony raised his eyebrow. "How many other billionaires do you call down here every day?"

She refused to be cowed by his tone, instead offering her hand to Pepper. "Ms. Potts, a pleasure."

Tony looked mildly affronted.

Jennifer waved to the seats in front of her desk. "Sit, please. Someone is bringing Peter here now. Do you have-"

The door opened, cutting off her sentence.

An older man came in, leading the boy by the hand.

His eyes were on the floor, clearly nervous.

"Hey Peter," Jennifer said softly.

The little boy looked up. "Hi Miss Jenny."

He froze when he saw Tony and Pepper.

His eyes were big, awe mixed with confusion reflected there.

His eyes darted around at the adults, but he didn't say a word as the assistant lifted him into a chair, letting his feet dangle.