Chapter 5: A Knight and A Snake

THE STREETS WERE BUSIER than yesterday. The sun was about to set and lights are dangling from tree branches giving the place a good ambiance. There are a lot of people buying and selling things. Some are singing happily. Surely, the streets weren't this lively yesterday.

"Bakit maraming tao ngayon? It wasn't this crowded yesterday."

"Oh. There's a festival coming up tomorrow."

I looked at the twins who were walking beside me. They did what they said to be my escort. And it did not escape my eyes how Luca flirted with the women whom he sees on the streets. What's surprising is that he knows all their names.

"He bedded probably half of the women in this city." I heard Levi dahilan para manlaki ang mga mata ko.

"Come on. Baka isipin ni Lily pati mga may asawa, pinapatulan ko. I only flirt with single young ladies, you know." Levi grinned. I failed to contain my grimace. There are always men in this world like Luca.

"That doesn't sound nicer at all," I muttered and he cracked a laugh.

"There's a famous restaurant here." Napatingin ako kay Levi. He smiled at me.

"Exene is out having a meeting so it's alright if we eat out. And besides he doesn't care whether he eats alone or not." He said as if he's answering a question I didn't think about.

"He probably cares now, brother," Luca said. They looked at me with grins on their faces. I sighed.

"Lily of the West, what's your decision?"

"I'm fine everywhere."

"Then let's go there." Levi said and we walked down the crowded streets with females swooning over Levi and Luca. I have to admit they really are dashing to look at.

* * *

The restaurant was posh. Not that I expect them to bring me to an ordinary restaurant but this one's too grand. Too expensive. I groaned inwardly. Why did I let them choose? I haven't received my salary yet and here I am eating in a restaurant that would probably cost my whole month's salary back in Sandovia.

"I'm sure you guys know I have no salary yet, right?"

Luca propped his elbow on my head as if it is the most comfortable shelf.

"Don't worry, milady. The dinner's on us." He grinned dahilan para taasan ko siya ng kilay.

"What's the catch?" I narrowed my eyes on them.

"Come on. We just want to treat you dinner to welcome you to the manor. We didn't have a proper celebration. And besides, Exene would want this too."

"It's true, Lily. We're treating you dinner tonight." Levi agreed and I sighed. Actually, I want to suggest eating in a less expensive restaurant but it's their treat. Good thing I was wearing a dress.

The smell of the aromatic food was what greeted us when we entered the restaurant. I have never smelled anything so nice and appetizing before. A slim woman came to us and flashed her smile. I instantly knew Luca's going to hit on her later. Or maybe he'd already flirted with her before. Half the population, remember?

The woman guided us to a table big enough for the three of us. When I looked at the menu, turns out, they just serve traditional dishes. And I wasn't wrong about their prices.

"Oh, Your Grace. You flatter me." Muntik na akong masamid sa iniinom kong tubig nang marinig ang boses ng babae. There's no other man in this place with the title 'Your Grace'. Which means Exene Magnussen is here.

"Unbelievable. I thought he has a meeting today." Muttered Luca. Mukhang narinig din nila iyon.  Nakadekwatrong upo ito habang nakatingin sa table hindi kalayuan sa amin, where the Duke is seated together with a woman who's probably beautiful if she hadn't put on enough blush on to make her look like an overripe tomato.