6 | Ice Cream Sandwich

~☁☀☁~

One of the many perks of being home alone was waking up peacefully. No little sister or best friend jumping on your bed. No parents waking you ten minutes before your alarm goes off, causing you to lose that precious last bit of sleep.

It was just me, my pillow and blankets, and my alarm set to play a pleasant melody in one hour.

So upon hearing a male voice before that hour was up and feeling a hand on my arm, I did what any half-asleep person would do if they were home alone.

I screamed and blindly punched in the direction of the voice.

My fist made contact and I heard a grunt of pain. Hissing through my teeth at the throbbing ache in my knuckles, I shot up to better defend myself.

"What the hell was that for, Ferret?!"

I screamed back at him, "What the hell are you doing here, Ian?!"

I was wide awake after that scare and my heart beating out of my chest. The initial fear was gone, quickly replaced with an anger that simmered down to annoyance when I saw his hand cupped over his nose.

His voice was muffled as he said, "I think you broke it."

"I did not hit you that hard," I huffed, getting out of bed and stepping over to him. "Let me see."

Ian's gaze followed my movements, dropping down from my night shirt to my bare legs before darting away. I pulled his hand away so I could see the damage I caused, if there was any at all. His nose was a bit redder than the tint creeping up his cheeks.

"Did I just hit your nose? Or the surrounding area too?"

He scoffed, refusing to meet my eyes when I gave him a teasing grin. Though he couldn't seem to resist another glance at my legs.

"You could've warned me that you weren't decent under the blankets," he muttered. "Or stayed in bed."

"Your fault for exaggerating about your nose," I shrugged. "I had to make sure it wasn't broken. Besides, I am far better than decent so I don't know why you're complaining."

I would have flipped my hair, but the nest of a bun on top of my head wouldn't allow it. I honestly didn't care about my appearance in front of him because he had seen me in more unattractive clothing than what I was wearing.

Judging by his reaction and wandering eyes, an oversized shirt that rested mid-thigh didn't make that list. So I had no reason to be embarrassed and instead basked in the glory of making Ian Winters uncomfortable.

I poked the tip of his sore nose, making him flinch and drawing his attention away from the wall. And the ceiling. And the floor.

"So are you going to tell me why you're here?" I backed up to my bed and sat down on the edge of it, making a point of crossing one leg over the other.

He was seemingly unaffected by my action as he answered, "I am your chauffeur today."

My cocky expression collapsed. "What?"

"Your parents were worried about you making the trip alone, so they asked me to stay behind with you."

Humiliation and anger warred within me until they joined forces, causing an outburst that I regretted as soon as the words left my mouth.

"I don't need a babysitter," I scowled.

He held his hands out in surrender and said his favorite line to use whenever I was mad at him, "Don't get feral on me, Ferret."