Scene 3 - Caught Stealing

EXT. STORE - NIGHT

Bright store, lonely, with buildings & departments around.

DISSOLVE TO:

INT. STORE - NIGHT

Ember is looking for someone to steal from, she sees outside the store a FAT, BAD-LOOKING MAN standing at a Public phone talking to someone and sees his wallet in the back pocket. Ember smirks.

EXT. STORE - NIGHT

Ember walks towards the fat man and stands behind him.

FAT MAN

(over the phone)

'No, Mom, I'm serious, wait...'

A fat man turns to see Ember, holds up a finger.

FAT MAN

'Just a minute...'

Fat Man turns into his initial position and continues talking. Ember starts moving her hand towards the Fat Man's wallet slowly. Ember's fingertips release smoke as they slowly ignite from the tension. She is about to take the wallet of Fat Man, but suddenly, another YOUNG MAN grabs her from the shoulder.

YOUNG MAN

'Hey! Thief!'

Ember jumps in fright and suddenly fire starts shooting out of her hands into the back of the Fat Man, and almost immediately, the Fat Man throws himself to the ground with desperation and begins to roll; the Young man recoils with shock.

WOMAN

(frightened)

'Yo-you're one of them!'

The people run away from Ember.

EXTRA (O.S.)

(Yelling)

'She is one of them!'

Ember, shocked, looks quickly to the ground and sees the Fat man's burned wallet. She takes it and looks at the Fat man while he is trying to put out the fire.

EMBER

(shouting)

'I'm sorry!'

Ember runs away, and the STORE MANAGER comes out with the fire extinguisher running towards the Fat Man.

STORE MANAGER

'Don't worry, I'm coming!'

The store manager begins to shoot at the fat man with the fire extinguisher, putting out the fire. Ember stops for a moment and looks back at the Fat Man, already safe.

Ember continues running. On the roof of one of the apartments, a HOODED MAN with a pass card with the acronym A.C.O.R.D attached to his pants, watches Ember flee down the street.

SMASH CUT TO:

EXT. STREET - NIGHT

Ember is still running. She pulls out the wallet, checks what's inside and sees that all the money is burned.

EMBER

'Agh! Not again'

Ember keeps searching inside the wallet and finds ten slightly burned dollars, still able to be used as currency.

Ember throws away the burnt wallet and keeps running.