Scene 8 - Lab Rat

INT. WARREN OFFICE - DAY

Ember cautiously walks in as Dr. Brecker welcomes her into one of the empty rooms in the building. Dr. Brecker pulls out a chair right next to a desk. Medical utensils and tools The medical team dropped off are all laid out in an organized fashion. Ember is slightly uneasy at the sight of this.

DR. BRECKER

'Don't worry, we just like to have them all laid in the case of an emergency. We won't be needing any of those for you today.'

Ember begins to walk over to sit down in the chair. Dr. Brecker walks over to cabinets and pulls out a syringe, and sets the syringe, Dr. Brecker cleans the area of her arm that he'll be puncturing.

DR. BRECKER

'So, shall we begin?'

EMBER

(hesitant)

'I guess...Brecker quickly draws the blood from Embers arm. She watches as it happens and shivers, feeling dizzy.'

DR. BRECKER

'Are you cold? Can I get you a blanket or something warm to drink? (beat) It does tend to get quite chilly in here. But unfortunately, we have to keep it that way. For sanitary purposes.'

EMBER

(impatient)

'Um, no, I'm fine. How long is this gonna take, though?'

DR. BRECKER

Oh, this shouldn't take too long. I just need to run a few tests to get a better look at what I'm working with.'

He spins around to power on a computer set up behind him.

DR. BRECKER

'May I?'

The doctor gestures for Ember's arm while holding the needle. He draws a bit more blood than last time. Ember's vision gets blurry but restores itself once Brecker starts talking again.

DR. BRECKER

'How are you feeling?'

EMBER

(uncertain)

'A little dizzy, but I think I'm ok.'

DR. BRECKER

(reassuringly)

'Be sure to let me know if anything is bothering you.'

Dr. Brecker waits for a few seconds, then spins back around to check the computer showing her diagnostics. He takes a second to clear his glasses and does a double-take.

EMBER

(curious)

'What is it? Is something wrong?'

The doctor quickly switches his expression of shock back to a welcoming, slightly brighter-than-before smile, before he spins back around to face Ember.

DR. BRECKER

'No! Not at all, everything is fine. In fact, we're finished.'

EMBER

(surprised)

'Already? That was fast. I thought it would take a couple of hours at least.'

DR. BRECKER

'Yup! You were so great, I was able to get what we needed in minimal time. I extracted enough of your DNA to replicate and do further research on.'

Dr. Brecker unstraps Ember. He cleans up and puts away the supplies used in a hurried manner.

DR. BRECKER

'Thank you so much, Ms. Cortez, it was a pleasure working with you today. I know this place is like a maze, so I'll have to escort you to your room.'

The doctor has a fake smile on his face, as opposed to the earlier genuine smile. A bead of sweat rolls down his forehead that is clearly visible to Ember. Both of them follow a NURSE out of the office.