Scene 9 - Night Screams

FADE TO:

EXT. FACILITY - NOON

Establishing shot: A facility in a forest away from the city.

INT. HALLWAYS - NOON

The Nurse holds open the door as Dr. Brecker and Ember exit the office and enter the shallow hallways of the facility. Dr. Brecker and Ember are chatting as they walk through the facility hallways while he's leading her to her room.

DR. BRECKER

'Now, in these hallways are the rooms we let our volunteers stay in during their visits. They're not anything special, but at least it's a bed and roof over your head, right?'

EMBER

'And how many rooms are there?'

DR. BRECKER

'There are 147 rooms in total here.'

EMBER

'How many supers have volunteered?'

Dr. Brecker excitedly expresses his words.

DR. BRECKER

'More than you'd think! And, that's why you're here. The goal here is to prevent anything that can cause conflict or harm to our community. I want to help you! I want to help all those innocent people who are struggling with their abilities!'

Ember gives Dr. Brecker a strange look.

EMBER

'Ok... Well, thanks for all that... It looks like you're very dedicated to your studies, though. It also seems like you care about helping, too.'

DR. BRECKER

'Well, I'm glad you've noticed that about me, and yes, you're correct; I do care about what I'm doing here and why I'm doing it. So I'm really looking forward to treating you more during your visit and hopefully my team and I can find a way to cure you.'

EMBER

(doubtfully)

'How do you know you'll even find a cure? You've been working on this cure for years and haven't found anything yet.'

DR. BRECKER

'That's for my team and me to worry about. Remember why you are here—you are here for us to try to find that cure, and with you, we have more chances of hope. With you, we're not using artificial powers to test on. We're using you and, you're the real deal. So, in order for us to discover a successful cure, we need you to cooperate with us so finding that cure could be easier and more possible to find, okay?'

EMBER

'Okay, okay—sure, yeah, whatever... I guess you're right. You're the brains and I'm the lab rat.'

DR. BRECKER

'I wouldn't call you a lab rat. You're more of a testing volunteer.'

EMBER

'Okay, thanks—I guess.'

Ember and Dr. Brecker continue down the hallway. Stop at door labeled 127

DR. BRECKER

'Here you are, my dear. Room 127.'

Dr. Brecker opens door, Ember and Dr. Brecker enter her room.

INT. FACILITY GUEST ROOM 127 - EVENING

Ember looks up and down at the depressing prison cell-like room.

A desk sits in the corner with an old chair by it and a window shining light onto the desk.

A white bookshelf is placed in the opposite corner and there is a bed with white sheets and blankets in the middle of the room. The floor is a pale grey carpet and the walls are eggshell white. There are no decorations. A pale white door leads to a bathroom.

DR. BRECKER

'Again, as I said, it's not a fancy five-star hotel, but it's warm and there's a bed.'

EMBER

'It's fine, don't stress.'

DR. BRECKER

'Okay then, just relax here until tomorrow morning. There are some food and drinks in that mini fridge right there. Oh, and behind this little wall is a toilet and sink along with a shower. So, yeah, this is everything.'

Ember looks around the room and sees a red button with a speaker.

EMBER

(Slight fear)

'Hey, what's with that red button over there?'

The button is next to the bathroom door with writing above that says "ring for service".

DR. BRECKER

'Oh, that... That's just an emergency button. Actually, it's more of a help or assistance button, really. Basically, if you need anything, just press that button and talk into the speaker right there, and whatever you need, I'll send one of my staff members here who will help you get it.'

Ember studies the button.

EMBER

'Oh—okay,'

DR. BRECKER

Before it was used for troubled patients, but we haven't had one of those in a while, so now, it's just used more as on-demand room service.

Ember flashes back to the screaming patient they dragged inside from earlier and quietly winces. Dr. Brecker paces around the room and grabs a bag off of the desk.

DR. BRECKER

'Oh, I almost forgot. Here you go—these are for you, it's just clothes, shoes, and bathroom utilities.'

Ember looks through the bag.

DR. BRECKER

'Well, I better get going now—I have a lot of work to finish up. So just rest up 'till tomorrow and I'll see you later. Have a good Night.'

Ember nods.

Dr. Brecker smiles and walks out of the room. Ember sits on the bed looking around the room. Glances at the bag. Walks over to shower, turns it on.

CUT TO:

INT. FACILITY GUEST ROOM 127 - NIGHT

Ember is looking around in her room, snooping through the desk drawers. Gets ready for bed. She turns lights off and slips into bed.

Faint screams echo in the distance. Ember jumps up quickly and feels a pounding in her head, holding her head in her hands. She feels dizzy and disoriented. She can smell something similar to peppermint filling the room. She's covering her ears. She can hear her heart pounding. The faint screams continue.

Ember reaches for the red button but before she touches it a staff-woman comes running in her room.

MONROE

'Are you okay, Ember? Ember—Ember! Send in more, we need to get her back to the lab! C'mon, pick her up! Pick her up!'

The other staff members chatter. Ember is strapped onto a lab table with an unfamiliar doctor and his fellow scientists around her. She falls unconscious.

FADE IN:

INT. A.C.O.R.D. TESTING LAB - NIGHT

Ember awakens to another STAFF WOMAN above her. She seems to be rolling down a hallway on a stretcher.

EMBER

(quietly)

'Wha... wh - e... re am I?'

STAFF WOMAN

'You're back in the lab. Just stay calm, okay Ember? Stay with us.'

She loses consciousness again.