Pap Smear Procedure: How and When?

A Papanicolaou test, or Pap smear, is normally performed at a regular gynecological visit.
Doctors generally recommend getting a Pap test every three years for women ages 21 to 65. Women who are 30 or older can wait five years between Pap tests if the procedure is combined with testing for human papillomavirus (HPV).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that every sexually active woman have a pelvic examination to rule out different medical conditions including cancer. This is especially important for women over the age of 30, since they are at a higher risk.
The majority of cervical cancer cases are caused by the HPV. This is a common virus that can be transmitted through intercourse.
Most women that have been exposed to HPV do not have any symptoms, and it can go undetected for a long time before any symptoms become apparent.
During the exam with your gynecologist, the doctor will perform a pelvic exam and collect cells from your cervix. This sample is then sent off to a laboratory for testing.
Typically, this only needs to be done once every few years unless you are experiencing unexplained symptoms or have an abnormal result from the laboratory testing.
If this is the case, your doctor will have you come back in for a follow-up to confirm the findings and determine if additional treatment is necessary. When you schedule a gynecological exam that includes a Pap smear, most gynecologists will request that you have this exam when you do not have your period. You can get a Pap smear on your period only if it is absolutely necessary, as the results may not be accurate.
You should avoid douching, intercourse, and any vaginal medicines or spermicidal foams, creams, or jellies for two days before a Pap smear, as these may wash away or obscure abnormal cells.