Scene 13 - Meeting Apollo

Cut to:

INT. APOLLOJIMERSON'S CABIN - AFTERNOON

Wooden cabin occupied the mentor. A mainly barren room with some cream colored curtains over the windows. The metal desk occupies far corner piled with books next to a metal framed bed.

Apollo, a middle-aged man with a dark-colored beard, a series of numbers tattooed on his right wrist, and a scar stretching from the corner of his eye to his jaw, glances over from reading papers at his desk to Ember.

APOLLO

Have a seat. I'll be with you shortly.

EMBER

(Impolite)

I'd prefer to stand.

Apollo glances again to Ember, one eyebrow raised, puts his papers back onto his desk, stands up, and walks over to Ember.

APOLLO

Sorry for the delay. I'm sure Hannah has already introduced me, but I believe I don't know your name?

Apollo flashes a smile and holds out his hand. Ember glances down at his hand. Apollo clears his throat and withdraws the hand, stuffing it into his pockets.

EMBER

(beat)

...Ember.

APOLLO

Well, Ember, it's nice to meet you. I'm sure you are wondering What's going on?

EMBER

I do—that Vibrant girl, Hannah, despite all her talking, never really explained what this place is.

APOLLO

(laughing softly)

Yes, Hannah does tend to be slightly talkative...

EMBER

(scoffing)

That's an understatement.

APOLLO

You'll learn to love her—

(beat)

everyone does eventually.

Ember crosses her arms.

EMBER

So...are you going to answer my question?

APOLLO

(surprised)

This is a refuge for people with powers. I'm sure you know how cruel the world can be towards people like us.

He looks directly at Ember. Ember stares back at him.

APOLLO

So I established this place to help those people. They are welcome to come and go as they please, but people rarely leave.

Ember narrows her eyes.

EMBER

And why is that?

APOLLO

(laughing)

There's no cause for alarm. What I meant was that people who come here generally don't want to leave. Coming here, though, does require that you do your part. This place would not be what it is without people to maintain it.

EMBER

Why have I never heard of this place?

APOLLO