Scene 15 - Training

EXT. THE CAMP - AFTERNOON

Cloudy and Windy, with the scent of pine cone trees.

APOLLO

Alright Ember, it's time to get down to business.

CUT TO:

EMBER

Okay, but why are you helping me? We hardly know each other.

APOLLO

I understand how you feel, but it is my job to help supers like you. We want to live in harmony with humans and to do that we must learn control.

Ember is visibly touched by his nice words. She then cooperates with Apollo and they start their training.

DISSOLVE TO:

EXT. WOODS - NIGHT

APOLLO

What's the matter?

You don't seem happy with the progress we've made.

Ember, not knowing how to respond to Apollo, lashes out at him.

EMBER

What progress? I haven't been able to control my power at all during the time we've been here. What's the point? Am I just not training hard enough? I'm still just as dangerous!

Apollo smiles softly.

APOLLO

It is alright Ember. These things take time. While you may not see it, you have improved very much.

EMBER

How? Look at the ground—it's black!

APOLLO

Your powers are linked to emotions. You must learn to control your emotions in order to control your power. If you master this, you'll be able to control your powers.

Ember is motivated by Apollo's words.

APOLLO

But for now let's head back to the camp. We can continue this tomorrow.

Ember nods and follows him willingly.

Dissolve to:

INT. THE CAMP - MORNING

Ember wakes up early to get a head start on her training, seeing that her cabin mates are still sleeping. Hannah is snoring loudly in the bunk above Ember.

Ember

(speaking to herself, whispering)

Control my emotions, huh? This isn't gonna be easy, but I'll try my best...

Ember leaves her roommates a note and then heads towards the woods.

EMBER'S NOTE

Gonna start training early.

See you guys at breakfast.

CUT To:

EXT. WOODS - MORNING

Ember tries to focus on her emotions, but she struggles because of the traumatizing memories she has. She then sees something in the distance.

EMBER

Huh? What's that?

Ember reacts as if she is about to fight somebody.

EMBER

Who is it? Show yourself!

The thing she sees in the distance gets closer and closer. To her surprise, Apollo pops out.

EMBER

Apollo? What are you doing here?

APOLLO

Your friends told me you left to train early. I have come to assist you.

EMBER

(unsure)

Um, Alright.

APOLLO

I see you're having some trouble with your training, so I'm here to help.

EMBER

Kind of, it's just quite challenging to control my powers under the circumstances I was raised in.

APOLLO

I see. Well, I'm always here to help. As I have mentioned before. Now then, let's continue. Be prepared, this will take as long as it should until you are able to maintain your emotions.

CUT TO:

EXT. WOODS - AFTERNOON

Ember and Apollo continue training for a few hours until Ember is able to start grasping better control of her powers. But she hasn't quite gotten the hang of it fully just yet.

APOLLO

Okay Ember, it's been a couple of hours now; how do you feel? Are you ready to spar for a bit to test out your progress?

EMBER

Spar? With you? Uhh... well, I feel stronger than before. But I'm still scared I might hurt you.

APOLLO

Don't worry, if you kill me you will care for the camp.

Apollo winks.

EMBER

(sarcastically)

In that case, I guess I should go all out.

APOLLO

Alright! Show me what you've got!

Both Apollo and Ember spar for about 30 minutes in a MONTAGE. Apollo is impressed that she has progressed very well in the amount of time that they have trained.

APOLLO

Wow! You really have grown, Ember. I'm impressed. But you still might want to work on your emotions. If you do so, you will have completed your training.

EMBER

Alright, I'll keep working on it.

APOLLO

There is something I want to tell you?

EMBER

What is it?

APOLLO

Ever since we first met, I've noticed some hidden strength within you that you didn't realize you had. If you can release that strength and master it when the time is right, you might be unstoppable.

EMBER

What? Really? Now that you mention it, when we were fighting earlier I did feel a sensation within me that felt different from when I usually use my power. Could that be it?

APOLLO

Yes, that is part of it. Anyways, let's head back inside. I haven't checked up on the others in a while.