Scene 31 - Killing Dr. Brecker

CUT TO:

INT. - ABANDONED WAKA CAMP HALLS

Ember steps on broken glass as she sneaks around the halls of the half-inflamed facility looking for the antagonist. Ember wipes the blood from her forehead as she lets out a deep breath.

EMBER

(sarcastic)

Dr. Brecker, I am in need of medical attention.

She screams and is stomping her foot in a violent manner.

EMBER

HELLO, just come here, I know you are expecting me. I finally know what I want.

EMBER

(under her breath)

...or should I say what I have to do.

DR. BRECKER is under his desk, sweating profusely. He looks around, then reaches for a thick metal pole.

DR. BRECKER

I am here, Ember.

He stands up tall trying to compose himself. Behind his desk, he is still gripping the pole.

Ember runs towards Dr. Brecker, who is standing behind his desk.

EMBER

Ohhh, Dr. Brecker, isn't it beautiful?

She holds her hands up signaling to the building on fire — Dr. Brecker has a confused look on his face.

DR. BRECKER

Ember, this is not you, what happened? This is not what we talked about. You know this is wrong.

Ember is playing with the blue flame in her hand.

EMBER

What has happened no longer matters. It's what's going to happen that should be worried about. More specifically, what I am going to do to you.

DR. BRECKER

Ember, don't do something you'll regret...I kno-

EMBER

STOP. I don't want to hear cheap excuses. I want you to beg like your life depends on it.

She smirks.

DR. BRECKER (V.O)

If I do as she says, perhaps she will spare my life. I only hope she can be reasoned with.

He gets on his knees in front of Ember, letting go of the pole.

DR. BRECKER

(tired, desperate)

You know I only want to cure people so no one has to go through what I went through when I lost my family. I can help you and your friends if only you let me live.

His eyes are tearful.

EMBER

If I spare your life, I will have to spare others, but for there to be change, there also has to be a sacrifice. Unfortunately, your plea has been rejected. Your execution will begin now.

She extends her hand to Dr. Brecker's scar; the sound of sizzle and a bit of smoke comes off his face.

DR. BRECKER

(screaming frantically and resisting)

NOO. EMBER, STOP.

He reaches for the metal pole, hitting Ember's shoulder with it. She looks at him, surprised.

EMBER

(calm and sweet tone)

Don't make this harder than it has to be. Let me end you in peace.

DR. BRECKER

(backing away slowly)

You're insane, I-

Ember shoots blue flames from her hand towards Dr. Brecker, instantly consuming his body with the fire.

EMBER

So I've been told.

She watches as the body drops on the floor with a cold smile on her face.