Chapter Two

About three months has passed since Iris came to the Kirsch, for the first few weeks, she had a hard time getting used to the people around her since the only people she's ever been with was her mother, Farlan and Isabel, her father, and her childhood friend – Jack – who was left in the Underground, never to be seen again. But the Kirschs were understanding, always considerate about Iris' decision on staying quiet and – for the first month – locked in her room, and they would give their time to help the girl adjust and mourn for her mother; Leon would try to drag Iris out of her room and let her exercise her legs outside, he even introduced her to his childhood friends, Sofia; Joseph would try to make Iris accompany him at the stables, seeing that the girl had a liking towards the horses and would always watch them run around the field; and Sarah, who Iris loved being with, taught her to read and write, helping her to get ready with her schooling, which was about to start in a week.

"Leon, we're counting on you to look after Iris, alright?" Sarah said.

"I got it, Mom." Leon said, grinning.

Sarah pinched her son's cheek, seeing his mischievous grin.

"Iris is still new to this, so I expect you to be at her side." Sarah chastised.

"Yeah, yeah, I get it." Leon rubbed his cheek.

Iris chuckled at the mother and son's exchange, it always reminded her of her own relationship with her mother before. After finishing breakfast, Leon and Iris made their way down the road to their school, with Iris still using her cane, Leon had to carry her satchel and walk a bit slow to match her pace.

"Leon." Iris began. "What is it like?"

"What's like what?" Leon asked.

"School?"

"I dunno." Leon shrugged. "It's just like school."

Iris poked Leon at the side with her cane, a bit annoyed by his lazy answer.

"Hey, cut it out, I hate it when you do that!" Leon said, swatting her cane away.

"Well give me a better answer than that."

"I don't know." Leon said. "School is school, kids go there to learn stuff in a classroom."

"Was that so hard?" Iris smirked.

"You suck."

~*~

Levi sat quietly at the empty Mess Hall, before him was his cup of tea that have turned cold as he drowned himself in his thoughts. His fingers held the stone feather necklace that Maria gave him for their daughter to remember her, but instead, he kept it for his own purpose. Even until how, he was being selfish.

Not yet... he kept thinking. He wasn't ready to give it up. He wasn't ready to let go.

"You've been here for a while."

Not bothering to turn to see who it was, Levi sighed, not wanting to be in the presence of the man who disturbed his peace – well, the silence. Erwin sat down across Levi, a smirk on his face. He noticed how Levi held the stone feather in his hands, he couldn't help hut find the symbol quite familiar.

"May I ask what you're holding?" Erwin asked.

Levi glared at him. He hid the necklace in his shirt once again.

"What do you want?" Levi said.

Erwin sighed, seeing that he wasn't going to get anything from the man. Though Levi has devoted his life to the Survey Corps – to his leadership – Erwin could still see that the man had his thug-like ways, especially in terms of speaking to those in authority. And it was obvious that he wasn't going to show or say anything that involved his daughter and former lover – who were both still a mystery to him, unlike Farlan and Isabel.