Chapter 30

"Father, we must discuss my sisters," Jza added after a poignant pause. She was incredibly unready to peruse her thoughts about Lord Tarquin's declaration. She had known in the back of her mind she had his attentions. The threat of committing a fatal misstep that compromised her beliefs had terrorised her so fully it lingered even after her father had given his approval. 

"I had my sources there was something wrong with their dealings. Their correspondence was being hidden but I just didn't know the extent of their dissatisfaction or deception. They wrote to you?" King Samuel asked his former enemy. 

Tarquin nodded. He looked so uncharacteristically frazzled that he took a seat without being prompted. Did he regret voicing what his heart contained Jza wondered. 

"Did you reply back?" The Goridian King asked grimly. 

"Yes, although it was my advisors doing the writing. I needed to know what kind of ambush I was walking into," The Somerlian Lord replied with a stony look. 

"Ambush?" Jza asked with surprise. 

"Why in the name of all things holy would these women start writing to me all of a sudden if it were not a trap," The younger man asked as if it were not the most obvious answer to his predicament.

"Of course," King Samuel sighed with drooping shoulders, "I am aware of the reason. They saw a painting of you. The new painter showed us his older works and one of those portraits was yours. It certainly caused a frenzy in the royal apartments."

"And where was I?" Jza asked with an abrupt laugh. Did all this ridiculousness start because of a mere painting. 

"You had barricaded yourself in the library from what I remember."

"Ah, the dead frog incident. Nothing could induce me to stay in the same room as my sisters," Jza answered. It was not as if they would have shared a handsome King's painting with her anyway. 

"Nothing could prevail you to stay after that either. I know who owns this farm," King Samuel looked even more defeated. He gazed skywards at the newly patched roof of the barn.

"Yes, I bought this farm from my uncle when I wrote to him about the impending war. I was always meant to move here. I could not abide by the royal behaviour any longer," Jza answered with determination lacing her voice making it clear she could not be persuaded otherwise. 

"I did wonder why you were saving your allowance rather than spending it on pretty baubles and clothes but I had my answer when you used it to buy out your uncle. I knew I had failed you that day. It's a pity the war started when it did and I could not devote time to the matter," The girl's father gave her a troubled look. 

"It was not your failure," The Princess placed a hand on her father's shoulder hoping to placate him.

"How ones children behave does reflect on the parent. You needn't banish yourself any longer. Your sisters will not be returning to the castle for now. All of them. I have decided the decision to send them to exhile needs to be taken," The King's face reddened with burgeoning fury. It seemed he was resolute like his daughter about his decisions. 

"They will be devastated. Even Goridian castle lacked the social life they desired," The Princess answered with a worried expression. Her stepmothers would be furious being separated from their children. 

"The time for their whims and games is over. I know what you're thinking," The King addressed Tarquin who was watching them with flinty eyes, "I am soft. Perhaps I am. My daughters betrayed me and I take the easy way out but I find sending them away to be appropriate for now."