Chapter 42. The Proposal

Elina's POV

"So, why did you save me that day by sacrificing yourself?" I asked Daniel the question I'd been dying to ask from the last few days.

Daniel and I were taking a stroll in the garden as he was now finally okay and could control his thirst for blood.

It had been a week since that eventful battle with the hybrids and the Queen. A lot had been lost that day and a lot had been solved.

Daniel lost his werewolf life. Now, he was a hybrid. A hybrid who had quite a scavenging thirst and control issues. According to Lisa, it was all part of the consequences and with time, Daniel would be able to control his powers. Yes, he had become more powerful then before but what's the benefit of the power which would make you have an internal battle with yourself every single day?

And to top it, he had to sacrifice his mate for the benefit of us all. I know it wouldn't have been easy for him to give up his mate but he did it anyways.

I don't pity Daniel. He doesn't need pity. I know he can handle it but sometimes I think only if things could be different.

Only if Ginivieve wasn't his mate...Only if she wouldn't have chosen black magic....Only if he wouldn't have received the dagger instead of me....

There were so many 'only if's' but still, despite everything that happened, I was thankful to him for saving my life.

"First thing, from the moment I met you, I knew you were a good person with good intentions," Daniel said dragging me out of my reverie, "And then I noticed the way Evan looked at you, the way he cared about you. I actually thought you were his mate which I was right about. And then when you were abducted by my mate-" a look of pain passed his eyes before he blinked them away masking it with a smile, "I mean, Ginivieve. I actually realised he loved you more than I thought he could. That day, just before I came to the battle field, I let my mate be killed with my own consent. How much ever I ignored, I still felt the pain of losing her. And it wasn't pleasant. Then, when I came to the ground and saw the dagger close to hitting you. I didn't waste a minute and came in front of you. Why? Because I didn't want the same fate for my best friend as mine. Unlike my mate, you're a good person and perfect for Evan. So, there wasn't a reason for me not to save you."

I was left speechless by the time he finished his explanation.

Truly, Daniel Rodriguez has a heart of gold. A heart that didn't think twice before sacrificing himself for the sake of his best friend's happiness. A heart which cared for others. A heart that should be taken by a special person.

And I sincerely wish that you get the best partner ever for yourself, Danny.

"Thank you for everything, Daniel," I smiled gratefully.

Before he could respond, we heard heavy footsteps approaching us which made us look at who interrupted our little conversation.

A smile grew on my face as I sighted Evan approaching us wearing a black tuxedo which made him look like a Greek God. He had gone to a meeting with the council members to discuss about all the brewing matters that had occurred. I guess the meeting went good for him looking by the smile he carried on his handsome face.

"I should get going," Daniel said suddenly with a knowing grin plastered on his face--which kind of made me suspicious--as Evan stood in front of us before dissappearing in a jiffy.

Ugh! I'm never going to get used these supernatural agilities.

I glanced at Evan who was already staring at me. My cheeks warmed up instantly and I immediately looked away.