3

"Katie! Pony! Get up!" I heard Darry yell from the kitchen. I groaned and pulled the covers over my head, not feeling it today. I didn't want to get up, I didn't want to face the world.

I didn't move for ten minutes, when Darry walked in. "What're you doing? You're going to be late." He said, sounding mad but I knew he was just frustrated.

"I'm taking a day off." I declared, not moving from my comfy nest of blankets.

"You feeling okay?" He asked with concern etched in his voice as he pulled the blankets away from my face and felt my forehead.

"I just, need a day. I'm not sick or nothing, I just need a break." I explained, giving him puppy-dog eyes.

Had Pony told Darry the same thing I did, he would've flipped out and said to get to school and that he didn't do enough to need a break. But I'm his baby sister and I had him wrapped around my finger.

He sighed. "Oh, alright. Do you need anything?"

"Just some alone time."

"Okay. I work until 5, Steve picked up a shift today instead of school so he and Soda will be working until 3, Johnny and Pony will be at school, Two-Bit and Dally will be, well, who knows where they'll be."

"Okay." I said, relieved for the day off.

"Love you, kiddo. Behave." He said with a quick kiss on my forehead before he left, shutting the door behind him.

I listened intently, waiting for everyone to leave the house. Finally, when everyone was gone, I got up and went to the bathroom to get cleaned up. After, I went back into my room and changed into a pair of skinny jeans, a black and white flannel, and a pair of black Converse.

I grabbed $15 from under my mattress before heading out the door, walking aimlessly just for some fresh air. I found a convenience store and decided to go inside and buy a Pepsi.

While I walked around the store, I found an aisle with drugs. I stopped, eyeing a bottle of sleeping pills. Maybe I should buy them, just in case I need a quick exit...

I picked them up and then found another blade since the one I always used was getting worn out.

I bought the three items before exiting and continuing on my walk, carrying the blade and pills in a plastic bag while I drank the Pepsi.

As I walked, I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. Before I could turn around and face whoever it was, I heard an all-too-familiar laugh: Two-Bit.

"What're you doing, Two-Bit?" I asked, turning to face him.

"Oh I'm just exploring our wonderful town on this lovely Friday afternoon." He said with his smile. "What's in the bag?"

Shit. I hesitated before stuttering, "Um, uh, lady things."

His face was unreadable for a moment before he shook his head. "Huh-uh, nope. Not for another two weeks."

My jaw dropped and eyebrows raised. "How the hell do you know that?"

"There's one girl and seven guys in our gang, we all wanna survive." He laughed. "But seriously, what's in the bag?"

"Ever hear of privacy, Two-Bitch?" I said, hoping the insult would throw him off.

"Hmm, nope!" He said, quickly grabbing the bag from my hands. Time seemed to slow down as he looked inside, my fears coming true. And I panicked. There was no way I could defend buying the blade and pills without sounding suspicious, so I did what any logical person would do: I dropped my drink and ran away as fast as I could.

Author's Note because I'm annoyed: before you comment that Katie is stupid or the excuses she could've used, you need to stop and think. She is mentally ill. When you're mentally ill, your mind is LITERALLY ILL. It doesn't function right, especially when you're paranoid and freaking out about someone finding out how not okay you are. Please knock off the comments about how dumb she was or how easy it would be for her to make other excuses.