s i x

I look at the clock and sigh, but right after the teacher enters the classroom. I turn my head to look at Soobin, and he looks back at me, nodding. I nod in response and wait for the class to end, so we can approach him and talk on private.

He explains to us the proper care for the ducklings, and apparently none of our classmates have their ducks yet. The time flies, and soon the room is empty.

I stand up, playing with my fingers as Soobin joins me, walking towards the teacher who's standing behind his desk and placing his things inside his briefcase. Soobin smiles at me warmly, trying to make me feel a little more at ease, so I smile back at him. He clears his throat, and the teacher looks up in our direction.

"Yes? How can I help you?" He asks, fixing his glasses.

"We need to talk about our duckling." Soobin says, the teacher smiles.

"Yes, what is it? is there a problem?"

Soobin shakes his head.

"Actually, I believe it's the complete opposite." He responds, the teacher looks at us expectantly.

I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and sigh when I feel Soobin's gaze all over me.

"Our duckling hatched three days ago. Not even three weeks after it was assigned to us." I say, Soobin nods.

A pair of big sweet eyes appear in front of me as soon as I walk through the door. I smile warmly in response, his rosy cheeks make him look adorable.

I bite my lip, feeling my chest tightening and my hear breaking in million pieces. I shut my eyes closed hardly, taking a deep breath. There's a war inside of me knowing I shouldn't be listening to this conversation, all of his words from yesterday are resonating in my brain... But, I just need to know a little more.

"It hatched? How's that possible?" The teacher asks, knitting his brows together. A knot forms in my stomach, worried about the whole situation. He doesn't seem to be aware of the reason why the egg took way less to hatch than the others.

However, Soobin keeps calm.

"It's a Mallard, and it takes at least from 25 to 29 days to hatch. Even though the egg hatched in less than three weeks, the duckling seems to be completely developed and healthy." He explains, crossing his arms over his chest as I look at him. "That could only mean that we were tricked. My assumptions are that you knew about this and it was a test to see how we took the sudden hatching."

The silence fills the room for a strong couple of minutes, but then, the teacher smirks.

"Very well, Mr. Choi. You are correct, and you both approved."

When he says these words, a big smile forms on my face and I try my best to hold back my squeals of excitement. Soobin looks at me, smiling widely with his cute dimples popping up. He lifts his hand, offering me a high five that I instantly respond.

"I knew it!" He exclaims happily. We can't stop smiling.

"You still have to bring the duckling when the time of the revision comes, so take good care of it." The teacher adds, and we nod. He smiles and starts to make his way to the door, so we bow at him.

When he exits the classroom, I turn my body in his direction, so we are face to face. Soobin's eyes are sparkling and his eyesmile melts my heart in mere seconds. I bite my lip, feeling the flush on my cheeks.

"Good job. It's been nice to work with you." He says, his thick voice sends chills down my spine. He lifts his hand and places it at the top of my head.