4

I ran to the lot and sat against a tree, my arms wrapped around my knees as I began crying.

What was I going to do now? Two-Bit isn't stupid, he can figure out why I bought those things. And he, of all people, can't keep a secret for his life. He was going to tell everyone and then they would all know. And then everything would be different. I needed to cut, I was so anxious.

But I didn't have a blade with me, so I just laid my head on my knees and cried. It wasn't long before I heard somebody walking and then felt an arm go around my shoulders.

I picked my head up and saw Two-Bit, with a very rare but very serious expression on his face. "I gotcha, kiddo. You're gonna be alright."

I was tense for a few moments before I saw that he wasn't going to try talking to me yet, so I decided to just lean into him and keep crying.

Once I finally calmed down a bit, I pulled away from him and looked at his tear-stained face. Why was he crying? I was the one whose life was about to be ruined.

"You ready to talk?" He asked softly.

"I'm never going to be ready to talk." I said with a light chuckle, wiping the tears off my face.

"Well, you have to now. And don't run this time." He said with a smile as he shifted to sit in front of me. "I'm just going to ask some questions, you just answer honestly. Ok?"

I nodded and sniffed, willing the tears not to fall anymore.

"Alright. Do you cut yourself?"

Oof, no beating around the bush. I knew my voice would crack if I spoke, so I simply nodded.

"Where at?"

I lifted my left arm, hidden by my sleeve.

I heard him take a deep breath before asking his next question. "Can I see?" He watched me hesitate before adding the next part. "You don't have to if you don't want to, not yet anyhow."

I sniffed once again. "Okay, then no."

"Okay. How long?"

I shrugged. "Six months, maybe seven."

I watched him try not to react, but I saw his eyes momentarily go wide. "Why?"

"It's just something I do, I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"I can't explain it, Two-Bit. Unless you've been there, you won't understand."

"Alright, fair enough. So, what's with the pills?"

"They were just a back-up plan. Just in case it got to be too much."

"In case what got to be too much?"

"Life."

He sighed before standing up and softly saying, "Come here." He pulled me up and into a tight hug, staying quiet for a moment before telling me. "I'm here for you, if you ever need to talk. I can shut up and be serious when I need to, you know."

"Okay." I pulled away before asking the question I dreaded the answer to. "Are you going to tell Darry and Soda and Pony?"

"Either you will or I will, your choice."

I took a deep breath before looking up at him. "You do it, I can't answer all those questions again."

"Alright, I'll do it tonight. Whaddya say we go grab some lunch?"

"Only if we can change the subject." I chuckled.

He laughed with me, throwing his arm around my shoulders as he began to walk. "You got it, kid. Just one more thing on the subject."

"What?"

"You're stronger than anyone I know, going through this. And we couldn't get alone without ya. Don't forget that."