5

We went to the DQ, eating barbecue sandwiches and fries as Two-Bit told cheesy jokes and stories, lightening the mood the best he could.

I was honestly surprised at how well he handled all of this, like it wasn't his first time having those types of talks. But I hoped it was, otherwise that'd mean he'd been through some tough shit and he didn't deserve that.

"Hey, how's it hanging, bitches?" Dally suddenly asked, pulling up a seat beside us.

"Hey, Dal." We said as I slid my basket of fries towards him, not very hungry.

"Ain't you supposed to be in school or something? Both of ya?" He asked us, gladly accepting the food.

"There's a test today and, well, you know me, I just go for kicks, not tests." Two smirked.

"I was just taking a day off." I mumbled, futilely hoping the tear stains were no longer visible.

"Right. And why do you look like you just got done bawlin'?" He asked, looking at me closely.

"Nothing, just...it's nothing, no reason, Dal." I stumbled, not caring if he knew now or not because he was going to find out anyhow. I just didn't want to explain it again.

"Come on, kid, What is it?" He pestered.

"Dally, drop it." Two-Bit cut in, trying to protect me.

"What do you mean 'drop it?' What's going on?"

"Dal, Stop."

"I'm not gonna stop! If the kid's hurt, I gotta know!"

"Enough!" I yelled, knowing Dally wouldn't stop asking until he knew. "Two, you can tell him. Dally, try to just...understand. I'm going to go outside, get some air."

I went outside and leaned against the wall, thinking about the day. I never intended to let anyone know about any of this, now two of the guys knew! And before the night was over, all of them would know.

And I knew they needed to, I knew I was harming myself. Deep down, I knew this had to happen. But I really didn't want it to. Everything was going to change. I wouldn't be trusted on my own, I wouldn't be trusted with a switchblade, or anything remotely sharp for that matter, Darry would probably check my arms everyday, and worst of all, I would get so many pitiful looks it'd make me sick.

As I was still deep in thought, I heard the bell on the door ring, my head turning to see none other than Dally.

He looked broken, his eyes softer than usual and I swear there were tears in them.

"Hey, Two told me everything. Don't you ever hurt yourself again! You hear me, kid? Don't you do that anymore!" He said, his voice raising in emotion.

Before I could even react, he pulled me into the only hug I'd ever seen Dallas Winston give. He held me close to him, rubbing my back slightly.

Moments before he was practically yelling at me, but I knew, especially since he was hugging me, he meant well. He was just worked up with emotion.

And as good as this should've felt, being wrapped in a hug and being showed how much I meant to him, I only felt guilty. Guilty that I made Dallas Winston cry and guilty I made him emotional enough to hug me in public and risk ruining his reputation.

Why was I such a burden on everyone?