ten.

CHAPTER TEN,
may we meet again

   SLEEP WAS SOMETHING that never came for the survivors

SLEEP WAS SOMETHING that never came for the survivors. The night and morning was spent cleaning the masses of bodies that belonged to both the dead and once living.

Blood stained her skin and sweat fell from her brow, Samantha and Shane Walsh helped just like everyone else. Resentment was tickling her skin, her eyes peering at her brother ever so often. She had asked him to train the campers, had asked him to give them some simple self defense, but because of his irresponsibility not only was Amy dead - so was half of the camp.

Blame was a dangerous thing. It can come in the forms of sadness, anger, violence.

Nathan was nowhere to be seen, and Samantha couldn't blame him. He wasn't very good at handling death, more pacifically, those who were close to him. When he lost his father, the man he looked up to, it had been one gigantic devastating mess. It completely changed him as a human being.

Sighing, she dumped the walker's deformed body into the pile and her eyes caught sight of an arrow protruding from the corpse that had attacked her the night before. She looked over her shoulder and saw Daryl driving his axe into the corpse of a camper, making sure they wouldn't come back. Samantha wiped the sweat from her brow and headed towards the walker, yanking the arrow out of its skull.

She stepped over bodies and cleared her throat. "Daryl?" The sight of the axe connecting with the camper's head and his brain matter being exposed made her shudder with disgust. The hunter craned his neck to look up at her, his hard eyes making her swallow thickly.

"Here, I thought you might've wanted this back." The sight of his arrow in her hands made him look back at her, before taking it into his own.

"What do you want?" The force of his words came out harsh.

Samantha pushed back a jab at his rudeness. "Did you see Nate by any chance?"

Daryl rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb. "Military man? Yea, went stompin' into the woods. 'aven't seen him since." She let her eyes drift to the woodsy area. Why would he go in there? Isn't that where the walkers came from?

When she looked back at Daryl, she noticed he was staring intently at her. Samantha came to realize his eyes weren't pale like Merle's, but deep and blue.

"You got a gun?" He asked, snapping her out of her mind. She nodded.

Then just like that he went back to moving the corpses. Samantha looked to the woods again. Shane had taken her camping before, but he never taught her how to track. He could've, and she partially blamed herself for that missed opportunity because she was too busy being a wild teenager. She guessed she had to use common sense. Every detail mattered when it came to tracking.