Chapter 30

I just stare at the indifferent expression on Mikaels face as he speaks of Maxim.

"You don't like him very much do you? Other than all this drama here, what's your issue with him?"

Mikael, "Maxim has no respect. That's it. I earned my place and the respect owed to me in this family. He hasn't. But he still expects people to bow down to him."

"Yeah I can't stand that kind of mentality either. Well I'm pleasantly surprised by how this meeting has gone down. But I think it's time for me to head back."

Mikael, "You shouldn't be riding without protective gear little one."

I sigh, "I know. I have to remember I'm pregnant now more often. Although I'm sure I'll be the size of a house soon and won't have any trouble remembering!"

We both laugh at that. I see Mikael smiling gently at me.

Mikael, "Even though you didn't love him the way he loved you, I'm glad Vladimir had you in his life for a while. Thank you for seeing past his past and giving him a chance to redeem himself."

"He deserved better than what Nikolai did to him. I wish I had done more to hurt Nik."

Mikael, laughing, "Trust me, having your balls ripped out is as  bad as it can get torture ways, when it comes to men. You did good! I'm proud of you!"

I blush at his praise. What! I never blush. But my dad never told me he was proud of me. He told me I did a job well done. But never that he was proud. I smile sweetly at Mikael. He blinks. Then blinks again.

"What?"

Mikael, "You are absolutely breathtaking when you smile kindly. I'm not being a creep. Vlad was like my son, he loved you, I see you like a daughter. But you've been either angry or sad since you got here. I can see you're beautiful but didn't realize how stunning you are when you smile."

"Thank you Mikael. That's very kind of you to say."

He looks like he wants to say something, but then like he changed his mind.

"What? I can tell you have something to say. Don't hold back please. I respect honest conversation!"

Mikael, "I don't want to overstep little one. But I want to give you some advice. Don't push away your man, because you're scared of losing him!"

I jerk like he electrocuted me.

"You think I'm pushing Daly away?"

Mikael, sighing, "Yes. I did that with my first wife. Our life is dangerous. I was always worried about losing her, and I felt like that worry, that fear, was making me weak. So I pushed her away. With neglect, with words, and finally when I cheated on her. After she left me, I knew what I had done. But there's no going back from something like that. When I fell in love with my current wife, I swore I would not let fear rule me. And I haven't. I still feel the fear of loss, but I don't let it rule me!"

I sigh. "You're right of course. I know that's what I'm doing, but I can't seem to control it. How do you do it? What's the secret?"

Mikael, "Imagine your life without him. Without his voice, without his touch, without his smiles. Without his love. That will help you to calm."

I tried imagining my life without Daly in it. My breath seized in my chest and I thought my heart was going to crash through my rib cage it was pounding so hard.

Mikael, "Ssshhh little one. Ssshhh. It's ok. He hasn't left yet. Apologize. Explain. He will understand if he loves you as you love him!"

I calm, "Ok. You're right. Thank you Mikael. For everything."