Ghosts from the Past

After talking to Bruce I feel better than I have in ages, it gave me hope, hope that I can be honest and everything will work out. I should know better.

           We're patrolling Gotham, we had received some cryptic message from Batman telling us we were needed, so a small team went, myself, Kid Flash Miss M, Artemis, Superboy and Aqualad.  We decided the younger members should sit this one out. Robin and Batgirl were MIA which is concerning especially since Batman doesn't like outsiders patrolling his city so something is definitely up. 

We're investigating an abandoned warehouse we heard some noise complaints about when we're attacked. She dives down from the rafters coming directly for me, when I look at her I immediately know why. Dressed in a bad knockoff of my costume  with twin swords instead of eshrima sticks and sporting a white face and maniacal smile, clearly the work of Joker toxin, is Raya.

"No..." I whisper.

"Raya!"I shout, hoping to snap her out of it even though I know better.

She doesn't respond, she just laughs uncontrollably and comes at me again.

"Isn't that the girl from the circus?" I hear Wally say looking at M'gan  and Artemis questioningly. 

"I think so, what the hell is going on?" Artemis exclaims. I don't answer, I'm to busy trying not to get stabbed by my childhood friend.

"Raya listen to me!" I yell dodging another strike, "This isn't you fight through it! Fight-" She cuts me off with a kick to the stomach, still, laughing, I flip back onto my feet and keep trying, "Raya it's me! You know me!" 

She just laughs and tries again, this time drawing blood. My teammates stand staring in shocked silence unsure what to do, I keep trying to get through to her but it's too late. Her body's breaking down, rejecting the joker toxin, she's not laughing, she's screaming. She falls to the ground and I run to her, "Raya!"

She's dying, "Stay with me Raya, stay with me!" 

I have no idea what formula the Joker used, no idea if an anti toxin will work, still I grab the one I still carry with me every time I'm in Gotham, and try anyway.

It doesn't work, she looks at me, fading,

"I'm so sorry." I tell her.

She manages a weak smile, "It's okay Grayson, I forgive you."

Then she's gone, I try CPR to no avail until I notice through a tare in the suit that there's writing carved into her stomach 

'What: A surprise party!

Where: The nest you abandoned!

Hosted by: Dear old dad (not the dead one haha)

Welcome home bird boy!

                                                                                  ...

A/N So I kinda meshed together some more storylines from new 52  Nightwing, this is mostly from the Death of the family run, just without Jason and Damien, I know my timeline is a little skewed but I'm just gonna go with it.  Oh and I've actually finished the story so if  these chapters get enough love I'll have those last few chapters up pretty quick:) Happy reading! 

-Little Red