XXXI - Ataraxia

XXXI - Ataraxia

Ataraxia
noun
/ætəˈræksɪə/
the state of blissful and serene calmness ; tranquility ; content

🍁

"Love, this is not a good idea." Noah grumbled beside her, his eyes fixated on the people in front of him.

"Why not? You'll love it. Come on." She dragged him towards a sea of people. She turned around while still holding his hand, dragging him towards where her parents are. "Trust me, you'll enjoy it."

He wasn't sure about that.

It was their second day at her parents' house and all had been good so far. He believed he had made perfect absolute scores to please his future parents but he wasn't sure about it now.

"Noah! You made it!" Her mother exclaimed, happiness clear on her face. Her eyes wrinkling as she gave him a motherly smile.

Kissing her cheek he politely responded, "Wouldn't miss it for the world." He was invited by her parents to come to this dancing club. At first he was shocked, he didn't know her parents were the party people type but he was more shocked when he learned that the club he was going to go to was a place for, how should he put this? Middle aged people? He wanted to go home the moment he saw what was happening beyond the door. But it would be disrespectful and he didn't want to dissapoint her and her parents. The things he do for the people he loves.

"I thought you'd go home the moment you found place." Her father commented.

"Dad. Noah wants to dance." He looked at her, shocked.

"I do?" He does?

Looking up at him with her big innocent eyes, she held his arm and said, "Yes you do. You said you love old people---"

"Young lady." Her father's voice went an octave lower, giving her a warning. She wasn't fazed though.

"And you said you love dancing with them. Noah is a good dancer." She proudly proclaimed.

"I am?" He never thought he'd be learning of his new talent now.

She nodded and subtly, she leaned on his ear and whispered, "My parents really love dancing. If you want them to bless you and me then you should dance. I'm sorry." This girl.

Smiling, he faced them. "I would love to dance with old--- with the people here. I've never been here before though."

"Oh that's alright! Jim will be teaching you everything! Right dear?" Her mother widened her eyes at her father while the latter's expression spoke "Why me?"

"Of course. Of course." He still obliged. "Come on young man." He beckoned towards the dancing couples on the dance floor. Noah looked like he wanted to go home. He was looking at her, his expression not sure but she only gave him a teasing smile.

When they were away from her and her mother, Jim started to teach him but it was not what he expected. "Put your hand on my waist." Noah was flabbergasted to say the least.

"What?"

"Do you want to learn how to dance?" He nodded. "Now put your left hand on my waist and your right on my other hand."

He took a glance behind him to search for Jess wanting to ask for help but she was dancing with her mother. Her smile reached her ears and she looked the happiest. It gave him a smile on his face too. That. I want to see her smile like that when I'm dancing with her.

Looking at Jim, he pulled him close. The old man was startled. Noah put his arm on his waist and his other hand on Jim's left hand, holding it up and with a respectable distance he said, "Teach me." His voice and expression was determined. Jim looked behind him and saw his lovely daughter enjoying the dance with her mother and he now knew why Noah suddenly looked so determined to learn. Shaking his head, he started teaching him the basics.