Three

"They say the things that finally break you are the words caught in your throat, and she has years of thoughts not uttered crammed in the pockets of her coat. A whisperer amongst a world that's learnt only to speak, where silence must be broken for the proof that it is weak. But wherein lies the weakness of keeping words held in your hand? When others listen to reply she listens just to understand. Surely it's strength when things unspoken fill the room up to the brim, and she's the only one among them who has taught herself to swim." 

e.h

The second day of the meetings, Jack and I had made sure to awake much earlier than usual. The thought of skipping a second day of our morning training was unbearable. Jack's wolf was apparently clawing to let off some steam, being challenged by the presence of so many Alpha's on his land. I wasn't fairing much better, a tension had settled in my body since yesterday's meeting.

I had yet to receive a response about my transferal.

Jack had assured me this was typical, that Alpha Harris would need to take the day to deliberate before accepting or rejecting me. The wait was torturous though, it was all I could focus on and falling asleep last night had been damn near impossible. So even as exhaustion weighed heavy in my bones, I needed this sparring.

"You okay?" Jack urged, eyeing me hesitantly.

I wiped back the sweat on my face, readjusting my tight pony-tale with a hint of a growl. I'd really been working my frustrations out on him this morning.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I rebuked, with a shrug of my shoulder that I imagined did not come across as casual as I had intended it to. Not as Jack's gaze narrowed slightly in assessment.

"You look like you're on edge, like someone who hasn't shifted for a week and their wolf is pushing to escape."

"Well you know that's not my problem," I huffed.

"That's why I'm concerned."

"We're talking too much," I grunted, shaking out my shoulders knowing I was too tense. "I'm just worried about my transfer okay, drop it."

Feigning left, I swiped right and hit Jack where he was unguarded, my fist smashing just below his sternum. He was taken off guard, his concern for me proving to be his weakness, as I moved to swipe at his legs. He was on the ground, my hands at his throat before he could even blink.

I had never taken him down so quickly before.

I wasn't sure if it was quite a measure of just my skill, or rather a symptom of how distracted he seemed, but I was claiming the win all the same.

"Fuck." Jack wheezed, wide disbelieving eyes meeting mine. "I should have paid more attention."

After we had separated and cooled down from the fight, I couldn't help laughing at the way Jack was pouting as he used his t-shirt to wipe away the sweat from his chest and face. The man was such a sore loser it was hilarious.

"Alright, alright, you've had your fun." He chastised, throwing his damp shirt at me.

Dodging the offending item with a squeal and a spin, I caught sight of the Colorado Alpha across the grass. Instantly my feet were stumbling and my laugh cut off into a spluttering squawk as I tumbled to my knees. It was Jack's turn to start laughing. If my cheeks hadn't already been so hot from the training, they were now on fire. How embarrassing.

Alpha Harris made no move to come closer to us, but his intense gaze never left me, except to briefly asses Jack who reached out to help me up.

"You're such an idiot," Jack chortled, not yet noticing the Alpha who was observing us, or perhaps he had noticed but simply didn't care. Only Jack, as one of the youngest Alpha's would be stupid enough to ignore the presence of another Alpha out of pride. He was lucky Alpha Harris didn't storm over here and force him to submit for his blatant disrespect. Thankfully Alpha Harris didn't seem the type to have to assert his dominance, he knew of his power and didn't feel insecure enough to need to remind himself of it.