Europa Escape

This book is dedicated to those who are not afraid to go to the stars.

UNS-Explorer Logs, July 27th, 2035: 14:12 – Captain Jason Simmon's Official Report

"This is UNS-Explorer, checking in for status reports. All systems remain independent and show no anomalies in the computer." The captain's voice sounds throughout the ship, his confident, steady tone showing nothing but the desire to get the job done, and yet he too, like the rest of the crew, is eagerly anticipating the next step of the mission.

"Roger that, Captain," replies Chief Engineer Hidus, currently stationed in Central Engine Control. "Engines are all set back here as well. Preparations for the first burn with the landing tanks have taken place and are on standby." Surrounded by his green flashing lights, he pulls his seatbelt around his hefty stomach and locks it in place.

"Life support, check, all systems go," calls off the central ship's life support engineer as he shuts down life support to the un-manned room.

"All cargo is secured," Lieutenant Fuller says into the intercom. He glances through the cramped towers of cargo one more time, watching the crates shift within their restraints.

"All solar sail systems have been retracted and are secured. Electrical generator sustaining," sounds off the Engineer's assistant, looking out one of the small windows to the solar sails. The matte black material is rolled tightly against a retracting solar arm.

"Roger that, the bridge is secured. All personnel report to your safety zones for the first burn. The red planet should be in view starboard in 30 seconds." The Captain sits in the center of the central console, gazing at the flickering red, yellow, and green LEDs resembling the status of different components, machines, and stations across the ship. On the upper tier of the console are three LCD screens displaying sections of the ship. The one to the right of him shows the long cylindrical hull of the vessel, which in real-time rotates to match the ship's gravity with Mars. The center screen displays numbers and arrows displaying the ship's telemetry as the massive computer software calculates and recalculates different entry and exit scenarios that the ship may require. And finally, the left screen displays different times, the most significant number counting down from 30 seconds. This is the time until the first burn that will slow their approach and achieve the final orbital vector.

Captain Jason Simmons of the spaceship UNS-Explorer cracks his knuckles as he reaches forward and grabs the console, readying himself for the first burn. "Nice and easy," he whispers once the countdown finally reaches zero. The buttons click under his fingers, the LEDs turning from green to red. He leans to the side as the ship's momentum slowly pushes against him. Looking up and out the main windows, he sees the vast red horizon of the red planet. A satisfied smirk widens over his face. After a moment, the LED turns back from red to green. With a sigh of relief, he sits back in his chair and smiles.

"Succe—"

The ship lurches, throwing the Captain and the crew to the left of their seats. The intercom fills with a scream before cutting off abruptly. Jason catches his balance and looks around at the two crew members stationed around him.

"Status report!" Many solid green buttons flick red, with a few flashing fast. The status screen shows the balk of the ship's icons starting to blare with warning symbols. He taps the screen and gestures his hands outward, spinning his finger. The display shifts the view of the ship, zooming out and then around. The third fuel cell under Engines three and four has ruptured. Simmons brings his fingers together, zooming the image in. According to this, the leaks have ignited.

"Engineering, what's your status?" Nothing but static responds from Engineering's intercom, aside from the occasional crackling. Jason curses. "All hands on deck. Seal off all main bay doors. Cargo, we need you to go out and fix the leaks. Engineering isn't responding. Suit up."