How Do Doctors Test for STIs?

Unfortunately, the stigma surrounding sexually transmitted infections (STIs) means that too many people don't get prompt testing and the appropriate treatment. In fact, sometimes it even discourages people from getting tested at all. STI testing is something that you'll need to speak to your doctor about. Read on to learn more about it, including when you should go, what tests are available, and how the tests work.
When is STI testing necessary?
If you're sexually active, it's good to get STI testing on a regular basis. It's particularly important to talk to your doctor about STI testing if:
- You are beginning a new relationship
- You and your partner are considering having sex without condoms
- Your partner has multiple sexual partners or has cheated on you
- You are having sex with multiple partners
- You are experiencing symptoms and signs that suggest you may have an STI
If you're in a mutually monogamous, long-term relationship and both you and your partner were tested for STIs before entering the relationship, then you may not require regular STI testing. If you fall into this group, it's a good idea to consider STI testing to rule out the possibility that you're carrying an undiagnosed STI that isn't producing symptoms.
While your annual gynecological examination is a great time to do STI testing, don't presume that your physician will automatically do it. Be sure to specifically ask for the tests you need or want. We've compiled guidelines for some of the most common STI tests below:
1. Gonorrhea and chlamydia
Symptoms of gonorrhea include vaginal discharge, vaginal bleeding between periods, and pain while urinating. Chlamydia symptoms are similar.
You should get an annual screening for these infections if:
- You're a sexually active female younger than 25 years of age
- You're a female older than 25 years of age and are at risk of getting STIs; for instance, you have multiple sexual partners or a new partner
- You were sexually assaulted and are concerned that you may have contracted an STI
2. HIV, hepatitis, and syphilis
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), women between the ages of 13 and 64 should get HIV testing at least once as part of routine medical care. The CDC recommends annual HIV testing if your risk of getting STIs is high.
Hepatitis C screening is advised for everyone born between 1945 and 1965, as this demographic tends to see a higher incidence of hepatitis C.
You should get tested for syphilis, hepatitis, and HIV if:
- You've had multiple sexual partners (or your partner has had sex with multiple partners) since you last had STI testing
- Your test for another STI is positive
- You use intravenous drugs
- You are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- You were sexually assaulted and are concerned that you may have contracted an STI
3. Human papillomavirus (HPV)
HPV is one of the most common infections among sexually active people. While it's about three times more common in men than women, certain types of HPV can lead to genital warts or cervical cancer - so it's important for women to be tested.
Testing for HPV involves:
- Pap test: Pap test checks the cervix for the presence of abnormal cells. Women between the ages of 21 and 65 should get a Pap test every three years.
- HPV test: Women over the age of 30 are recommended to have an HPV test every five years, if their previous Pap tests were normal. Women between the ages of 21 and 30 years are offered an HPV test if their Pap test was not normal.
How to get tested for STIs
Your doctor will order the necessary tests, depending on your sexual history, to check for STIs. The tests may include urine tests, blood tests, physical exams, and swabs.
1. Urine and blood tests
Blood and/or urine tests are common for the following STIs:
- Chlamydia
- Hepatitis
- Gonorrhea
- HIV
- Syphilis
- Herpes
In certain cases, blood and urine tests may not provide accurate results. Furthermore, blood tests may only become reliable about a month after exposure to the STI.
2. Swabs
Your doctor may take cervical and vaginal swabs using a cotton applicator during a pelvic examination.
3. HPV testing and Pap smears
A Pap smear is a type of test that looks for the presence of abnormal cells in the cervix, which may indicate early cervical cancer. Women who have recurrent HPV infections are usually more prone to developing cervical cancer.
4. Physical examination
Your doctor may diagnose certain STIs, such as genital warts and herpes, using a combination of a physical exam and other tests. They may perform a physical examination to look for bumps, sores, and other signs of STIs. They may also take tissue samples from these areas and send them to a lab for STI testing.