Being The New Girl

Dedicated to laitan97

Blossom's POV

"And stay away from boys!" my mama called as I quickly ran down the steps to catch the school bus which should be approaching any minute now.

Today, I was a ball of wrecking nerves. It was the beginning of a new year and a new life for my mother and myself. Two weeks ago, we migrated from Africa to the US for my mother's new job opportunity and my scholarship education at one of the most prestigious high school in the California state.

It was an overcast morning with no one in sight but me waiting on the bus stop for the bus. After five minutes, the bright yellow school bus with the name 'Pacific High school' displaying above its windshield.

I outstretched my arm and the bus slowed down before coming to a halt in front of me. The doors opened automatically.

"This is it," I told myself as I clutched onto my backpack tighter and boarded.

Rude stares and small laughter met me when I saw the other students and they saw me. I quickly found a seat, close to a window, and tuned everything out by opening one of my textbooks.

"Who's that?" I heard someone asking from behind me.

"I've never seen it before," someone else answered. There were more giggles and I slumped in the seat, wishing I could disappear or this bus would turn around and drop me off where it found me.

After thirty minutes of pretending to be invisible, the bus pulled into the highschool's parking lot. The doors opened and everyone started filing out like sand being emptied on a beach. I was the last grain of sand to get off. I slowly followed the others into the opened hall which I quickly regretted because the stares were more and the comments were getting ruder with every student I walked pass by.

'What could they be looking at?' I asked myself as I tried to find my assigned locker from the sheet of paper the Head Mistress had given my mother when we applied three days ago.

'Locker 26T, Locker 26T,' I mumbled as I counted. '23, 24, 25,...'

"Hey!" someone yelled at me and I was instantly shoved against my very locker.

"Why don't you watch where you're going, new girl!" other hissed, coming to the aid of the first girl I accidentally stumbled into.

"I'm....I'm sorry," I apologized. Both their eyes blazed at me before they flipped their hair and walked away.

I opened my locker and placed my books inside that I wouldn't be needing for first period. The bell rang and I headed to my first class, or at least I thought I was.

I got lost and I knew I was going around in circles when I orbit at my locker for the second time.

"You there! Why aren't you in class?" a woman called from behind me. It was Mrs. Tisdale, the Head Mistress.

"Sorry ma'am, I'm new and I'm a bit lost," I managed to speak although I was shaking with fear.

"Ah! The new girl from Africa. What's your first class?"

"Geography with Miss.."

"Miss Harris," she filled. "Follow me."

I did exactly as told and followed Mrs. Tisdale. She was a stern looking woman with a built body and light skin complexion.

_______

"Good morning," Mrs. Tisdale spoke when she entered the classroom. All the students stood until she gestured for them to sit.