Chapter 31

WARNING: There is a bit of strong language later in the chapter.

———

I didn't really need to think about it too hard. I knew my feelings for him and it seemed that with the war going on, it was now or never. However, I still had some fears.

"Are you sure you want to date me?" I asked.

"O-of course (Y/N-N)! Why would-wouldn't I?" He responded, seemingly amazed at my question.

"I don't know... it's just that you're so... you're much better... you're you... and I'm... I'm just me. I'm normal. There's nothing that special about me..." I tried explaining, searching hard for the right words.

"You're wrong. Y-you are spec-special. You're s-so amazing-g. And h-have you s-seen this hou-house? Our n-normal is crazy-y, in-insane. Here, y-you're the one wh-who's not-t nor-normal," Toby replied, nothing but love, passion, and honesty in his voice.

"O-okay," I said sheepishly.

I still had one more fear though.

"Toby... you're- you're immortal and we need to face that I'm not. I'll probably die in like 70 years, not to mention that I'll be all old and gross. But you- you'll still look young and you'll still live on many years past me. Heck, eventually I'll probably just seem like a speck of dust to you... will- will you- will you stay? Will you still want to be with me when I'm on my deathbed? Will you grow bored of me eventually and leave? I'm scared Toby... you have all the time in the universe to make mistakes, to fall in and out of love, but I only have a little bit of time... if I agree to be your girlfriend, is it going to be a mistake? A waste?" I rambled, but I meant every word. I truly was worried and I needed reassurance.

Toby stayed silent, the only sound he made was his soft breathing.

Was he thinking of the easiest way to tell me that my fears were true?

"(Y/N)," he started, voice serious, "I will not l-leave you. I will st-stay. I won't get bored. I w-will always want you and I'll never f-forget you. I'll do e-everything to make sure y-you don't think any of-f this is a mis-mistake. Because it's not a mistake t-to me," he finished.

I could hear the raw emotion coming from him and I felt my throat constrict.

I'd be lying if I said there weren't any tears.

"I'll ask y-you one mo-more time-e. (Y/N), wi-will you be my g-girlfriend?" I felt his hands grab onto my own and through the darkness, I felt his strong gaze on me.

I took in a shaky breath, slightly overwhelmed with emotion.

"O-okay. Yes. Yes I'll be your girlfriend," I answered.

Toby pulled me into a hug immediately.

We shared a few more words, but eventually we fell asleep, in each others arms of course.

For once in what felt like forever, I had forgotten about the war raging outside.

-mini time skip-

When I woke up, the atmosphere was a stark contrast to that of the one I had fallen asleep in.

Banging sounded throughout the house, along with hurried footsteps, shouting, and an overall sense of urgency.

Toby and I shot up immediately.

Not even seconds later, Jeff burst through the door, panting heavily.

"Zalgo... the Unknown... he-they... Zalgos army was defeated... they're fucked up bad... I- we... we don't know how many got hurt, but it's a lot... and the Unknown... they took prisoners... but-but... they aren't stopping..." he paused to take a deep breath, hand grasping the door frame for support, body hunched over.

"They're almost here," Jeff announced, staring up at us hopelessly.

"It's time," he finished, giving us one final nod before exiting the room.

Toby jumped out of bed in no time and began haphazardly getting dressed and gathering his things. I watched helplessly as he fumbled throughout the room, nearly dropping his hatchets due to his shaky hands.

Then he turned to me.

"I-I need to go. G-get some-somewhere safe. I prom-promise I'll be back," he said as he stumbled toward the door. His hand grasped the doorknob, and then he looked back at me, eyes much softer now, his face mostly hidden by his mask and goggles.

"I- (Y-Y/N)... I love you," he stated, rushing out the door before I could even reply.

"I love you too..." I whispered.

I sat in bed for a few minutes, unmoving and staring at nothing.

However, I snapped back to reality when I heard more crashing sounds from somewhere off in the house.

I knew this day was coming. I knew the fantasy state of last night wouldn't last forever. When you're up that high, and I should've known this, but when you're up that high, the only place for you to go is down.

I pulled myself out of bed and rushed to the library. Along the way, I could hear commands among other things being shouted. It was chaos.

"Cut them off before they get close!"

"You guys attack from the front and we will catch them off guard from the side!"

"God damn it Jeff! Grab another knife!"

"I already have six! Where am I supposed to put another one?!"

"Shove it up your ass if you have to!"

"Guys I can't find my mask!"

"You're fucking wearing it!"

"We need to fucking go!"

"They're getting closer"

"We can do this... I believe in us!"

I changed into the clothes I had been saving for this day and started to gear up. I was not going to hide away as my family endangered themselves. I didn't care that Slender didn't want me fighting. I would have rather I fought than have done nothing and watched the ones I loved get hurt.... or rather waited anxiously at home and find out after the battle who was injured.

I paused while tying my boots and took a deep breath. I had been preparing for this day long enough. I had trained hard and it was time to put that training to use. It was time to prove that I could fight just as hard as any of the others.

I finished tying my shoes and bounced up, pulling my hood over my head as I did so. I was equipped with weapons and knowledge, protection and determination.

I glanced at the shelves of spell books and made my way out of the library.

As I passed through the door, I turned around and saluted the place I had come to know well.

It was more than a way of showing respect, though.

It was also a goodbye.

Because I knew fully well that I might not make it back alive.

•••••
1163 words

It's late.  I'm tired. But I willed myself to write a chapter because I had a bit of inspiration. I think(?) I'm proud of this one. Let me know what you guys think though.

Thoughts? Comments?

Severely Unedited
Like I'm talking I was half asleep when I wrote this so it's probably just barely understandable.