Chapter Sixty-Seven | Third World

[ 67 ]

There was complete radio silence following what had happened a few hours prior. Although the team was filled with rough-around-the-edges individuals, who lacked mercy on more than one occasion, they still had a somber mood when it came to losing someone they classified as 'one of their own'.

Their reactions showcased how well Freya had done to have many of them wrapped around her finger. The only ones who weren't as effected were Jakob, who happily went back to sleep, Bjorn who was his normal emotionless self as he concentrated on driving, and Valentin who Hansel wouldn't even attempt to wonder what was thinking.

After sometime mulling it over, Hansel had come to realise that it then made sense why he never spotted Freya in the original's later memories. So even back then, he had outlived her, and that meant that even though Fahren had taken over, the chain of events hadn't altered too much. He wasn't quite sure, at present, whether or not that was a good thing.

What he did know, was that it was unsettling being sat beside the man who had tried to kill him on numerous occasions. Not Valentin himself, technically, but definitely his past incarnations. But each time he'd met with the yellow-eyed man, his lover had always been in the picture. He was his safety-net, but now Hansel had to deal with it alone.

Unless one of the men in the team was his lover? But he highly doubted that. Though the men were good looking, his lover was hardly the type to 'blend in'. Hansel just had to hope that he'd recognise him when the time eventually came- if that time ever came.

"You know why it had to be done." Valentin eventually spoke, and Hansel was very reluctant to talk with the man, so he just nodded his head silently.

"Perhaps it might change in the future, but right now, as soon as someone's bitten they lose their identity as human. And the less of them there are, the better chance of us surviving." The leader announced whilst taking apart his gun and cleaning it.

Hansel looked out of the window, at the abandoned vehicles and chaos-ridden buildings which were barely still standing. The odd stray Rotter was standing, alerted by the sound of the vehicles, but too slow to do anything. It was a depressing sight to behold, especially since it was a whole different world that was right in front of Hansel; one he wouldn't be able to explore.

"What about a cure?" Hansel turned to look at him and Valentin raised a brow, barely drawing his attention away from his gun.

"What about it?"

"Do you not have hope that those in the safe-zone are making one?"

Valentin actually scoffed, he sat up straight and finished off by slotting a new magazine into the weapon and putting it down. "You need to learn quickly that no one gives a fuck about anyone, Hansel. We are all survivors, and can only depend on our small teams for a shred of safety. In the safe-zone, its one large place filled with different small groups who only trust each other. So I doubt it's sunshine and rainbows inside with warm showers and an endless supply of food. I imagine we probably get a better meal now than what we will in there, because of logical rationing. I've also heard that there's different sections within this safe-zone, an area where we will be- and then an area where those who have paid quite a bit to be protected, will be." Valentin explained without a shred of doubt.

"Those people who are being protected the most, are probably fucking cowards. They don't have the balls to fight for themselves, and more than likely had security outside to protect them. So to trust that they're making a cure? Fuck that. There's been more than enough time since day zero, and there's no sign of a cure, so I can guarantee that those scientists who are probably treated like gold pieces, have long since given up on the world like everyone else."