Chapter Twenty-One

Kain's hand retreated quickly, and he got up from the bed without looking at me.

He knew.

He knew something, I could tell.

"Pierce, alive?" I tried asking him again. I had to know. No matter what I needed to know.

Kain gave me a sideways look before making his way back towards the door. I lunged for him, the blankets falling from my naked frame so I grabbed for his arm, halting him.

Tears stung my eyes. My wolf whined. He was just as concerned as I was. My dream had felt too real, I needed some type of reassurance. If Pierce was alive, was he injured, safe? Was he looking for me?

Our kiss played out in my head.

If Beta hadn't howled, what would have happened between us? Would he have touched me more?

"Toby, go back to bed." His voice was dismissive, and rage started building up. Why couldn't he just tell me? Why?

"No!" I growled at him, and yanked his arm hard, trying to draw his attention from the door to me. He barely moved, but his growl started to pick up. A small voice in my head urged me to be submissive. Told me to bare my neck.

Flashbacks of my branding hit me. The pain, sadness, and fear. I shook my head trying to push past those thoughts.

"Let go." His voice was even. If I had been pack, I wouldn't have had a choice but to listen.

I wasn't pack.

I wasn't anything.

I was simply an outcasted Omega.

Disgust filled me once more, but it only fueled the building rage already bubbling at the surface.

"No!" This time I let go of his arm and darted to his front before pushing him backward with all the strength I could muster.

It seemed to work since he staggered backward and finally looked at me.

His gaze was intense, heated. For a moment fear seized me. That look.

"It was your fault! You killed her!"

The flashback hit me hard. It was as if my world stopped for a moment as I felt the desperation of the chase hit me. How I tried to find safety in my small room. Those thoughts consumed me and before I could shake them, he was in my face, lightly grasping my neck to hold me still. It ricocheted me back to the moment. I couldn't back down now. What did it matter? If he killed me, I'd be content. If he hit me, I would be happy. I had nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

"What is so special about some filthy Cat?" Kain snarled in my face, his eyes growing dark with anger. "He wasn't the one to have found you, yet you ask about him?" His voice became accusatory. "He didn't do shit. So why are you so concerned?" I could feel his hatred for Pierce.

There was bad blood between the two, but that didn't matter right now. Pierce had saved me, taught me, fed and housed me. He had done a lot for me, I felt indebted towards him.

"You worry for him more than you worry for this pack!" My eyes widened. Kain's wolf has back at the surface. He was in a rage. I could feel his energy lashing out, fighting to be let out. My wolf came forward.

"You betray us with your Alpha and now this Cat!" My mouth hung open at his words before a fierce growl ripped out of me. I did no such thing! I didn't know about Lily, and I hadn't known anything about either pack to betray them.

Why was everything my fault?

Why did the world hate me?

Did the moon enjoy my suffering?