12

****

"He feels really bad you know", Remus said, gingerly turning the pages of the textbook situated in front of him on our corner table in the library. A day had passed, and while I had been able to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't good at DADA, and that was okay, a burning feeling made its way into my chest when I thought about Sirius and his stupid smirk.

"I don't really care", I said shortly, my eyes trailing down the essay I had just completed. Remus sighed and ran his hands through his hair. He looked tired and worn down. Bags had formed under his eyes and a large bruise stretched across his arm. "Are you okay?", I shifted forward so I could see his face better. Remus' eyes filled with a slight panic, and he laughed uncomfortably. "I'm fine", he scooted backwards so a shadow was cast over his face. My eyebrows inched closer together and I bit my lip. Something was wrong, but I had never seen anything like it before. I had no idea how to help him, which made me feel almost as bad as the thought of Sirius.

"Are you sure, Remus? If something is wrong you know you can trust me", I said quietly. A few students moved around us, searching for books. There was a moment of silence between us, a moment that hung in the air. I felt as if he was on the brink of honestly, but he just forced his lips into the familiar crooked smile and said, "I'm okay, Briony. Promise". I nodded, deciding it wasn't worth it to push it. I was exhausted from yesterday, and honestly didn't have it in me.

Remus suddenly reached down into his bag and rummaged around. Pulling out a large slab of chocolate, he ripped it open. "Both of us have had pretty rough weeks", he broke the large bar in half, "And I know that this always makes me feel better". He reached out, handing me the sweet candy. The corners of my mouth turned up slightly and I took a bite, the chocolate melting in my mouth and seeming to warm me from the inside out.

"I'm glad we're friends, Remus", I took another nibble, "Despite everything I thought of you before I knew you". I looked at the boy sitting across from me. It was odd that I had once hated him, before I even knew him. A thought tugged at the back of my mind. I wondered if I got to know Black and Potter, or even mousy Pettigrew, if I would feel the same way. I pushed it aside.

"I'm very glad we're friends too, Bri", Remus tucked the chocolate wrapper back in his bag. I glanced up at the large clock on the wall. I exhaled and slumped down in my chair. "I've got to go wake up Maggie", I sighed, "She's taking a nap and I know she won't want to miss dinner". Remus laughed, "I should be getting back to the common room anyway, the guys will be waiting for me". I clenched my jaw, the reminder of Sirius reopening the fresh feelings of anger in my stomach. Remus licked his lips then said, very quickly, "Give him a chance to explain himself, Bri. I think you'll be surprised at what he has to say". And with that, he was gone.

****

"Shh!", Olivia giggled. Our bare feet pattered against the cold stone floor as we tiptoed down the dark corridor towards the kitchens. "We're not gonna get caught, we've done this a million times", hissed Amber, grabbing my hand and pulling my forward. The three of us had been voted by the rest of the Hufflepuffs still awake in the common room to go on a food run to the kitchens, a regular occurrence.

"We can't forget Tanner's favorite pudding!", Amber let out as we ticked the picture of the pear in the portrait of the bowl of fruit marking the entrance of the kitchen. "Yes, yes we won't forget", Liv rolled her eyes, but smiled nonetheless. We piled treats and goodies into our arms and waved goodbye to the jovial house elves who smiled widely and told us to come back whenever we wanted.

As soon as we returned to the common room, we were bombarded by a hungry group of Hufflepuffs made up of Skye, Maggie, Lewis, Tanner, and some of the other boys. "Calm down, calm down!", I laughed, passing around bottles of Butterbeer, then taking a swig of my own. "Thanks guys!", Lewis called from an armchair by the fire. "No problem at all, Lew", winked Olivia, blushing as she settled down beside Quinton. Amber dumped the rest of the food in the center of the floor.

I bent down, grabbing a pumpkin candy bar, then located a large pillow and settled down onto it. Tanner was standing in the middle of the circle, arguing with one of his friends on whether or not a taco was a sandwich. "Give it a rest, Tanner", I laughed, taking another swig of Butterbeer. He turned to face me, his auburn hair sticking up in random places. He sauntered over to me, jokingly wiggling his finger at me.

"Now, now Briony. A little birdie told me you have gotten yourself into a sticky situation with a certain Sirius Black", he said, and everyone around the room began to laugh and tease me. "Oh, I think I know who that little birdie is", I said, looking over at Amber, who grinned guiltily. "All I'm saying", Tanner continued, throwing himself down next to me, "Is that I've heard from my sources in Gryffindor that he won't stop talking about you".

My heart began to beat faster. What was that supposed to mean? "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?", I snorted. All eyes were on us, but the crackle of the fire and merry faces of my fellow Hufflepuffs lightened the atmosphere. "That's for me to know and you to find out", Tanner winked, rolling over and leaping up with the energy of a gazelle. He then proceeded to start shooting sparks out of his wand, successfully shifting the attention away from me.

"You're blushing still", Skye whispered. I cleared my throat and shook my head, "What do you mean?". Skye pushed her glasses up her nose and a coy smile appeared on her face. "You haven't stopped blushing since Tanner told you that your name has been on Sirius' very attractive lips". I scoffed and finished off my pumpkin bar in one big bite. "Deny all you want, Bri. I can see right through you", she said in a sing-song voice.

I brushed her off, letting myself be swept up in the conversation and laughter of the room around me. But, as I lay in bed that night, Poppy curled up at my feet, I couldn't help but wonder why he was talking about me. Was he complaining about me? Plotting ways to get back at me? Or was he feeling sorry and regretting what he had done? I rolled over and pulled my blanket up over my chin, willing myself to drift off into a light slumber. 

****