Chapter 16: Pre-School

Published: 26th April, 2019
______________________________

Minerva McGonagall watched as Harry sat on the leather chair, reading a book. Or, at least trying to. He was clearly struggling, even if he didn't say anything. Finally, out of frustration, he threw the book across the room.

"Harry!" she shouted, but he remained undisturbed. She picked up the book and placed it in her shelf, making sure that it was immaculate before returning to the couch.

She knew it was way past the time Harry should learn to read. She had read in a muggle parenting magazine, oh those things came in handy sometimes, that he should have at least learned the letters by the time he was three.

But the real problem was how to teach him. She had two available options. Either to homeschool him, and save herself the trouble of picking him and dropping him to school. But that would be hectic for her since her schedule wouldnt agree with it. Or to send him to a preschool that was set for kids his age. But that would be costly, and also having to monitor his homework would take long hours. She sighed as she took a long sip from the cup of tea she was drinking.

At the Great Hall, Minerva was quieter than normal. Harry's pressing issue wasn't something she could just forget easily. She was so lost in thought that she nearly jumped out of her skin when Albus addressed her.

"Good afternoon, Minerva. What's going on your mind today." he croaked, his eyes gleaming. She no longer questioned his ability to understand her now and launched into a ramble when he asked.

"Harry is now four and he needs to start being educated, but I have no idea whether to homeschool him or send him to an institution. If he goes to one, it would be hectic for me but if he doesn't, he will grow up to be socially inverted." she explained. "What do I do?"

Albus thought for a while before answering her. "Well, in this matter, my opinion is useless." Minerva was confused.

"Explain."

"Well, I could suggest something, but my decision might not be good for him. You, on the other hand, are his legal mother and know his abilities better than anyone else. I have full trust in you to make the right choice for him." he stated.

She felt slightly better about her parenting skills, but still was none the wiser about what to do. She finished her lunch and called to Harry, who was down at the Gryffindor table chatting to Charlie Weasley. She called to him to come with her, who then trundled over to her and out the door.

Back in their rooms, Harry came to her while she was correcting some quizzes.

"Minnie, what is school? Cha'lie said something abou' school." he inquired.

She turned around and faced him. " A school is a place where you learn and make friends." she responded. Harry's face lit up.

"Will I learn to read?" he asked hopefully.

Minerva ruffled his hair. "Of course you will. I might enroll you in a school nearby."

Harry started jumping up and down with joy. "Cha'lie said tha' school is fun!" he exclaimed before running to his room. Minerva chuckled, his antics never failed to make her laugh.

Now her main problem was solved, all she had to do was look at a good school. She heard of a muggle pre school nearby, maybe she will try there.

**Page Break**

After the administration process, Minerva managed to secure a place into a good muggle pre school. Now it was the night before pre school started and Minerva was worried. What if he was sick? What if he cried? Would he be difficult?

As she was packing his bag, Harry appeared in the hallway and sat on the couch. Minerva gave him a disapproving glare. It was now his bedtime and he should be asleep.

"Harry, you should sleep." she tried to reason with him. But Harry was adamant.

"No, wanna play." he whined and protruded his bottom lip. Minerva carried him back to his bed, trying to get him to sleep, but he started wiggling around.

"Harry, go to sleep. We have to wake up early tomorrow." she whispered into his ear as she tucked the blanket over him. He finally gave up and closed his eyes, letting sleep take over him.

The next morning at 6 a.m, Minerva woke up and went to the kitchenette to prepare some lunch for Harry. But Minerva could never seem to leave her room without Harry following her because ten minutes later, a sleepy Harry came in the kitchenette.

"Good morning, Harry." she acknowledged. Harry said nothing, he just held his arms up in the universal sign of being picked up. At least he wasn't too fussy so it would be easier to get him ready.

Now Harry was in his uniform and everything was set, Minerva and Harry set off to preschool. When they reached the borders of Hogwarts, Minerva stuck out her wand and apparated away.

Once they arrived, they entered the building and located Harry's classroom. Harry was in awe when they entered the room. The room was so bright and colourful and toys filled the room. Harry tugged at Minerva's hand that he was so eagerly clutching.

"Come play, Minnie." he exclaimed and looked at her. Minerva bent down.

"Harry, I can't come with you. I have to go." she said as she took her hand away from his grasp. She kissed his forehead.

"Bye Harry." she said and left. Before she exited the room, she turned back to see Harry gazing longingly at her with his big green eyes.

"Don' go...." he whined woefully. She felt her heart twist into a knot. She wished he would scream, throw a tantrum or even cry. Anything but those puppy eyes. With a heavy heart, she left the classroom and apparated away back to Hogwarts.