Chapter twenty-nine_(29)

••I'm too busy fighting my demons,
Demons that will eventually
be the end of me••

  A gentle knock on the door caused a pause in our sob-session and we looked at one another, cheeks damp and noses stuffy. Ada got up after, wiping her cheeks as she sashayed towards the door and then flung it open.

A girl stood on the other end, short with wide eyes that darted here and there like a scared kitten's and I wondered what a junior was doing in my dorm. A conversation ensued between her and Ada but her timid voice was low and Ada brought hers down to match it, so Faith and I couldn't hear a thing until the conversation ended and Ada turned around, a box that looked like it contained pizza in her hands, along with something concealed in a white paper bag--the logo printed on the bag read, Cold Stone Creameries.

I frowned, wondering what was going as I wiped the wetness that had begun to dry off my cheeks.

"Well...this is just what we needed!" Ada exclaimed, her grin resembling that of a Cheshire cat's as she dropped the box of dominos pizza on the bed and then brought out the medium-sized bucket of almond and hazelnut mix ice cream, along with three spoons.

"What's going on?" I asked and sat up, still frowning.

"My guess is...Wilson?" Faith said, smiling too and my frown just deepened even more.

"Correcto!" Ada squealed, her grin even wider as she high-fived Faith and I just groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose in annoyance as I realized what was going on.

I reached for my phone, unlocking it and hitting the dial button on his contact immediately. The first ring didn't even ride out before he picked, talking immediately with a smile in his voice.

"You like pizza right? Please say you do!" I sighed, the words of retribution I'd planned on lashing out stuck in my throat at the sound of his voice.

What's happening to me!

"Yes, I like pizza but I didn't ask for one." I sighed again, ignoring Faith and Ada as they dug in, grabbing slices without paying me any mind.

"I know, please don't be mad. You skipped breakfast this morning and I thought you would be hungry, so..." He trailed, his voice low like a child that had just been reprimanded and I sighed. Well, I really was hungry but still...

"You can't just go around buying things for me like this. Its...its not right," I argued, wanting to stand my ground despite the fact that I'd already lost the battle in my head.

"What's not right in buying things for someone I like?" He said, sounding nonchalant and my eyes widened, the rest of the reprimanding words on my tongue freezing as my mouth hung wide open.

Did...did he just...

"What..." I trailed and he sighed on the other end, silence ensuing for a while as I searched for words. I mean, how do you respond to a confession like that?

"We can't talk about this over the phone, I don't know why I let that slip. But since its already out there...I like you, I like you so much May and I don't...fuck! I don't know what to do and I couldn't stand the fact that you might be hungry with nothing to eat. So I...I have no idea what's wrong with me. I...I just--"