Chapter 4

"Get your asses in there! All of you!"
A guard roughly ushered them all in, then slammed the door firmly behind him.

"What the hell was that about?"
Minho immediately whirled on Thomas as soon as the door was shut.

"You didn't really think they were just gonna let you go through?"
Newt asked, both incredulous and angry at Thomas's behavior in the cafeteria.

"Nah, of course I didn't." That's when Thomas whipped out a security badge, which he somehow must've taken during the commotion back in the cafeteria.
"I'm gonna find out what's on the other side of that door."

"Right." Newt rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

Thomas could tell Newt wasn't becoming convinced at all.
"Newt, they're hiding something. Okay? These people are not who they say they are."

"No, Thomas, you don't know that!" Newt came forward, standing only a few steps away from the agitated glader

Thomas, seeing he wasn't winning the argument, took a gamble on his next words.
"Then how come Emma hasn't come back yet, huh?" He said in a low voice, moving forward so he and Newt were even closer.
"How come they were so eager to take her away that they wouldn't even let you go with her?"

All of Newt's former doubts from the previous night came flooding back into his mind.
He found himself unable to find the words to counter Thomas, even as he was becoming more and more upset by his behavior.

Tension was so thick in the air it might as well have replaced all the oxygen, with the way Newt and Thomas were glaring at each other.

Metal scraping then clattering across the floor snapped them out of it, Aris coming out from under one of the beds, having apparently slipped out of a vent underneath it.

"Hey, Thomas."

"What the..." a startled Minho stepped back.

"You got it, didn't you?"

Thomas held up the badge for him to see.

"Yeah. Let's go." Aris slid back into the vent, Thomas following him in halfway, before turning to face everyone else.

"All right, look, maybe you guys are right. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I got to find out for sure. Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can."