Chapter 5

An older man with graying hair was checking over the vitals on one of the monitors next to two hospital beds, the occupants mostly unaware of what was going on.

"The results from the simulation so far have proved interesting, though not entirely unexpected, given Subject One's attachment to A5."

The younger of the two, the nurse, pressed his lips together, looking in concern at the readings on the screen of his computer.
"She seems to be trying to fight it. Is that even possible?"

The older man leaned over, taking a glance at his companions screen

"Ah, no. That seems to be panic induced thinking. Where the subject is unable to remember anything about the previous training simulations, its probably like she's experiencing it for the first time all over again."

The girl strapped to a bed on the far right of the room began to stir slightly, muffled sounds coming from underneath the mask covering the majority of her face.

"Doctor, I think twenty-eight is coming out of it," the nurse said with wary concern, watching as the Subjects eyelids were barely moving.

"Give them another sedative. Stronger, this time. You remember what happened to Jeffrey's. And check her straitjacket."

However, the nurse didn't even have time to turn and grab a syringe before he was bashed over the head with a metal tray.
As his assistant crashed to the ground, the older man whirled around in alarm to find two teenage boys standing over the body, trying their best to look menacing.

Winston held a small, delicately pointed silver knife in his hand, while Aris still gripped the silver tray.

The old man tossed a look in the direction of the radio on the desk, wondering if he could reach it without being injured.

"Don't even think about it," Winston snapped, taking a couple steps closer, knife pointed threateningly.

The doctor put up his hands.

"Now, here's what you're going to do. No  screaming, no yelling for help. Do everything we say, and maybe you'll get out of this with all your appendages still attached. Maybe. You're going to release my friend. And that other girl. Right now."

The man didn't make a move.

"Do it."
The old man didn't move.

"Do it! Now!"

With a sound almost like a scared whimper the man went back over to the computers. Pressing a few things on the keypad the computers powered down, a barely audible sigh coming from where Emma lay.

"No! Get your hand away from there!"
Aris ordered, making the man snap back his hand from where he was reaching to the radio.

"Help undo them. Now! Both of them."