Chapter 18

Liana

I unintentionally started playing with my hand and sat uncomfortably in the private room of a restaurant with Oliver and his employees and waiting for Caitlin. Oliver did not even question or was not suspicious that I asked if I can still come as my friends changed their mind of meeting me today. He seemed relieved when I told him I am not meeting my friends and happily brought me here. He seemed excited about the idea of me meeting this Artist and my heart felt heavy knowing that I was keeping it away from him.

Caitlin walked in, not so comfortably and Oliver give me a questioning look and I just give him an equal puzzled look.

"Ms. Meades?" Ryan, one of the staff of this project, stood up to greet Caitlin and all of us stood at the same time.

"Yes, nice meeting you." Caitlin said with a forceful smile and Oliver whispered to me.

"Your friend is a Manager?" He whispered to me and I nodded my head.

Oliver did not even pretend that embarrassing thing did not happen and said, "Hey, nice meeting you again." and Caitlin blushed immediately.

Caitlin looked at me and give me a nod and we sat down, both to eat and discuss.

"Why is Ms Jameson not here with us today?" Oliver asked Caitlin and Caitlin said, "She is a very private person. All her contracts and negotiations is done by me according to her approval."

I nodded my head. Smooth.

"So you mean to say that when we are working with her, we won't even know who she is either?"

"It depend on her." Caitlin said, "When she is ready."

"Her online web comic is a success." Ally chipped in. "She is working for the web comic?"

"Her contract with the web comic is to post twice a week, it is a job that she can work at home and she is free to join another company as long as she updates in the web comic."

"We are planning to buy the copy rights of her comic in the web comic as well, which means she will do the strips and someone can edit it and post it online." Ryan said

I froze at the statement and looked at Caitlin.

"That is for Ms.Jameson to decide." She said.

"Isn't it difficult to communicate about these matters when she is not here?" Oliver asked.

"Yes sir, but that was one of her agreement to working with us." Ryan said and Oliver scoffed.

"What kind of an attitude is that?"

I sat and looked at Oliver not really understanding him. I thought he would understand because few months back, he too was not on spotlight.

Caitlin frowned and tilted her head. "Do you have a problem with that?" She asked Oliver.

"It's inconvenient. It's not like we will be putting her on the lights or telling her to share about her life, but just a contract discussion."

My heart sank and I couldn't look at Oliver anymore. Caitlin eyes looked at for a moment and I tell her with my eyes to just end it. I don't want any contract with the company who is unwilling to support my one and only agreement.

"Then let's stop contacting us about the offer." Caitlin said and looked at them and her eyes finally landed on me. She was watching me with curiosity and of course making sure that what she did is as I wanted.

Oliver's head snapped towards me and I sat up straight, making sure I didn't give any hint to any of them.

Caitlin stood up and said, "It was nice meeting all of you." And looked at Oliver, "you just hurt her." She said to Oliver giving him a hint and my eyes widened at her.

"Would you like to come with me, Liana?" Caitlin asked me.

I nodded my head and gathered my things, I needed an escape. Oliver stood up at the same time.

"I think Caitlin wants to talk about something with me." I tell him in the nicest way possible.

"Where are you guys going?" He asked looking at Caitlin.

"Downtown." Caitlin said and Oliver nodded his head.

"I will pick you up." He tells me. "Don't drink too much." He whisper the last part, making sure his employees does not hear anything.

"She is not a child anymore, I will drop her home."Caitlin whispered to him in a harsh tone.

Caitlin pulled me out with her and I followed her to her car.

"I'm sorry." She apologizes when we were in the parking lot. "That was shit."

"I can't disagree with that. I am just disappointed?" I said to Caitlin. "I thought he will understand that some people just don't want to be seen?"

"Why are you hiding the truth from him?" She whispered. "He deserve to know the truth."

I looked at the front and said, "because even though I won the contest fairly, I don't think I will be treated fairly by everyone because they will think I used some tricks or think that I have won because of him."

"You should care about what you think and not what others will think because people have mouths to talk."

"It doesn't matter." I shrug at Caitlin. "I think we are good." I smiled at her. "Can you be my manager? Part time? Full time?"

"Are you serious?" She laughed. "I had the worse meeting as your manager."

"I think you are the best!" I said.

"I will think about it." She said. "Let's get out of here first."

I nodded and put the seat belt on. Driving in Downtown was the craziest idea considering it is weekend. Not suppose to be busy, but still is. Does that make sense?

We went to a restaurant to eat our hearts out after a crazy meeting. I sighed as we walked around Downtown, not sure of the destination, but hoping we find some place to make us feel better.

Oliver called me at 5 pm and deciding that communication is the best way to solve problems I picked up the call just to be told by her best friend Megan that Oliver and she is going to the bar and if I can find a way back home.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading! The first book have incredible feedback and we reached 8k reads! Thank you for reading this book and the other ones!