#36- Chance

Simon's POV

Vikk stirred slightly where he lay on the sofa with his head on Tobi's lap. About goddamn time. I stood from the table where I was scrutinising the little metal chip thing and went to the sofa. Josh even stopped his angsty pacing to see if Vikk was ok.

'JJ!' I shouted down the corridor to where he, Harry and Ethan were throwing shit or something. The idiots thought they actually had a chance of breaking through a hell window. Why would you want to anyway? I'm good on this side of the glass, thanks. I heard Josh and Tobi behind me, asking Vikk if he could hear them.

'JJ?' Vikk whispered as he knelt beside him. 'Are you ok?'

'Yes, you prick.' JJ laughed as he hugged Vikk gently. Tobi moved out of the way when Vikk sat up, letting them have their moment. Vikk gently touched the bandage around JJ's neck. 'Like I said, I'm fine.' JJ said in response, taking Vikk's hand in his.

'Did it work?' Vikk whispered.

'Yeah. Yeah, it worked. It's out of my neck, but that means fuck all. I can't do anything or he'll shock you.' JJ replied.

'Oh. That explains why you all look so worried.' Vikk whispered.

'Sorry. We'll, uh, give you some space.' I said, practically dragging Josh and Harry away from the cuteness on the sofa and to the table, with Ethan and Tobi following. I went back to staring at the chip whist Josh tried to wipe up some of the blood from the table like the dad he is. I glanced at the clock on the wall- 2:34am. This marked the third day that we'd been there. I don't think I'd seen anybody except JJ and Vikk sleep yet, unless you count being knocked out, which seemed to happen worryingly frequently. It didn't help that the lights never seemed to turn off, only dim, and they didn't have a light switch anywhere that we could find. Maybe the man (or woman- I'm not sexist) in charge added that feature just to fuck with us.

Once all the blood had been cleared, Josh and Tobi made everyone something to eat. When I say something to eat, I mean cereal. It's the only thing anyone could be bothered making, and wherever we were didn't exactly have a nearby Nandos. That was enough for me to consider it hell, really. We all sat down and ate, except Harry, who just stared at his bowl. Tobi gave me a look that said 'leave it, I'll sort it later'. After we cleared up the bowls, I started fiddling with the chip again.

'Any luck with that?' Josh asked.

'No, I can't even figure out how it opens. It means fuck all.' I said dejectedly, but I still passed it to him when he held out his hand.

'Not really.' He began. 'It means this speaker guy relies on technology, like us. That means he's not some kind of all powerful motherfucker. That means he's human, or close enough. That means we have a chance.'