Chapter 12 - Purpose

"Pick up your heel," Namjoon commanded. "You keep dropping it."

"I have a cramp in my foot."

"Your enemy won't care. He wants you dead, Y/N. Pick it up."

You picked up your heel, the pain surging through your calf.

Namjoon trained you daily, when your mother and Jungkook went to the fields. You were left to watch over the house. Namjoon's family owned farmland next to yours, and he took it on himself to bring you out to the lavender fields to train you. He always said that there might be a day he wouldn't be there to protect you. So he trained you.

"Bring your hands up more," he said, slapping your low hands. "Don't ever drop them below your jaw."

Normally you sparred two hours every day, whether it was summer or winter. You liked the training, though. You liked fighting against the elements, feeling yourself get stronger.

Most of all, you liked seeing him.

Sweat poured down his face, his strong arms throwing punch after punch against you. He tried to sweep you, but you dodged. You could always dodge his sweeps. You spun and kicked his chest, earning a grunt and a smile from him.

"More power next time," he said. "Don't hold back."

He made you stronger. Physically, emotionally. He made sure you never allowed yourself to back down.

His hand reached out and spun your back against him in a chokehold. He locked you in his embrace, your guard going down for a moment as your skin pressed against his. You shook yourself to your senses, breaking the hold to face him. He kicked your feet out. You grabbed the collar of his robe, taking him down to the ground with you.

He hovered over you, his eyes shimmering in the sunlight despite their darkness. You could feel his fingers on the edges of your hair, curling.

He was close. Closer than he should have been.

"Y/N..." he whispered. "Will... your mother be home tonight?"

You swallowed. "No, why?"

He chewed his lip then shook his head and looked away. "Nothing. I wanted... I wanted to ask her something."

He leaned back and you sat up.

"What would you possibly want to ask my mother?" you joked.

He rubbed the back of his neck as if it were aching, but you hadn't hit him there. "It's nothing."

He stood up, his clothes clasping to the muscles of his back and chest. You bit your lip, hoping he wouldn't turn around to see you stare. He put on his outer robe, indicating he was done training you for the day.

"Jungkook will be home tonight," you offered.

He nodded. "I know."

"Will you come over then? Or do you need my mother to make an appearance?"

"I'll come over." He stole a glance back at you, lips pulling to the side. "But who said either one of them was the reason?"

 "But who said either one of them was the reason?"