Chapter 13

It had been five minutes since the phone call got disconnected. Zain was not moving but was instead sitting like a still figure. The words of the nurse were still ringing in his ears, but he wasn't able to move or do something. He almost felt paralysed for that time. Just yesterday, just less than eight hours ago, he went to see Shahroze with Rudaba. He had promised her, he would take her again the next day in the morning and she can go for as long as she wants to. What was he going to say to her? Was seeing Rudaba one last time the only thing Shahroze was waiting for?

After staring blankly towards nothing in particular, he got up and made his way towards Nudrat and Saeed's room. They were also staying with Zain these days but would go to the hospital for the whole day until the visiting hours ended. He wasn't sure how to tell Rudaba yet, so he decided to tell Shahroze's parents first.

He knocked on the door and waited for a couple of minutes when Saeed opened the door and walked out.

"Khair hai beta?"

Zain was silent, but he shook his head.

"Kia hua hai? Sab theek hai? Rudaba theek hai? Shahroze?"

"Shahroze...."

He couldn't complete the sentence but instead started crying and hugged Saeed who didn't need any more information. Zain's sudden cries were telling him a news he didn't want to hear but was also expecting it at some point. He was mentally prepared for it as a father. But, that didn't mean it didn't hurt.

"Sambhalo hud ko Zain. Abhi tumne Rudaba ko bhi sambhalna hai aur yehi tu woh chahta tha, ke jab woh is dunya se jae tu Rudaba ka khayal rakhne wala koi ho. Tumhara asal kaam tu abhi rehta hai mere betey. Himmat karo! Mein Nudrat ko batata hun."

He patted on Zain's shoulder to console him and then walked back inside the room to tell Nudrat. Zain was still stood outside their room but then he moved away and made his way towards Rudaba's room. He wasn't sure how she was going to react, but she needed to know. She had every right to know. He had to look after her and give her consolation as much as he could. She was alone away from all her family here and this time was not easy for any one of them but for her, it was the toughest considering her relationship with Shahroze.

---------------

He knocked on the door and then opened it. He found her sat on the recliner with her head leaning against it. She had her eyes closed but he could tell she wasn't asleep. Hearing the door open, she opened her eyes and looked at Zain with confusion.

"Rudaba, tiyaar hojao. Hospital jana hai."

Bad attempt. He knew it wasn't the way to start this conversation, but it was too late now.

"Kia hua hai? Sab theek toh hai? Shahroze toh theek hai?"

She rushed to his side and asked him with worry written all over her face.

"Rudaba, woh..."

His voice was shaking, and he was not sure how to complete his sentenced.

"Kia?"

Her voice was desperate and also fearful. Maybe she did, and she didn't want to know what was coming for her.

"Shahroze ki death hogai hai."

She took a step back and then almost stumbled when Zain got hold of her to prevent her from falling. She kept shaking her head and pushed Zain's hand away and went inside the bathroom mumbling words that were mere whispers, but Zain managed to hear them.

"Usey kuch nahi hosakta. Usney kaha tha woh mere sath rahega hamesha. Usey kuch nahi hua. Kuch nahi hua."

Zain looked at her painfully walking away from him, but he had to tell her. She had to know. She would take time but would eventually accept it. She needs time just as much as everyone else.