Chapter 23 - Should I tell them?

Chapter 23 – Should I tell them?

Lucy’s POV

Unfortunately, when Monday morning rolls around, it would seem that both Jess and Amy have gone back to being completely against me getting my much-needed sleep.

“Hey, Luce, wake up!” Amy calls, barging into my room with Jess reluctantly trailing in behind her.

I groan and roll over, opening one eye to check the time, and resisting the urge to throw a pillow at the both of them when I see that it’s only ten to seven in the morning.

I repeat, TEN TO SEVEN IN THE BLOODY MORNING!

“Go away,” I moan, closing my eyes again, but Amy’s not having any of it.

“No, seriously, get the hell up!” she practically hisses, making me automatically realise that something’s not right. She sounds way too urgent for this to be just one of her usual morning barge-ins.

“What’s up?” I ask, sitting up slowly so my back’s resting against my headboard.

I watch in confusion as Amy turns to Jess and asks, “do you want to tell her or shall I?”

“Tell me what?” I ask into the following silence, not missing the way that Jess’s eyes quickly dart to the door.

Well, someone definitely doesn’t want to be here right now.

“Jess…?” I ask slowly, my confusion rapidly growing.

“Fine,” she sighs, walking over and plopping down on the bed next to me in resignation. “He may have come to visit me yesterday…” she trails off awkwardly.

What?

“Wait,” I say with a frown. “He as in…?”

“As in her goddamn predestined mate!” Amy finishes for me. “And she wasn’t even going to tell us!”

Holy crap!

“Because I didn’t think I needed to!” Jess argues. “Nothing happened!”

“So, wait, talk me through it,” I demand, sitting up straighter.

I’m fully awake now.

“Look, it’s really not that interesting,” she replies. “He just tracked me down on my way home and wanted to talk to me.”

“And?” Amy asks. “What happened then?”

“And…” Jess sighs, obviously not enjoying the spotlight. “Nothing. I told him to go away and he left.”

What?!” Amy shrieks, staring at her sister as if she’s insane. “You told him to leave, just like that?”

“Pretty much,” Jess shrugs, looking between the two of us to judge our reactions.

“I find it hard to believe that he left so soon,” I say with a frown. “I mean, if he went to all the trouble to get here and even managed to dodge our patrols, then he wouldn’t just give up straight away.”

Jess doesn’t answer, she just shrugs again.

“That’s true,” Amy agrees. “What exactly did he say to you?”

“I don’t know…” Jess sighs, frowning slightly. “He just told me his name and tried to get me to talk to him.”

“Which you wouldn’t,” I add on the end.

“No,” she agrees.

“Why the hell not?!” Amy asks in a mixture of exasperation and frustration, and I quickly step in before this can grow into another full-blown argument.