Ch. 6

"Effective immediately, I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark International."

The words are important, Peter guessed, by the way Pepper gasps, by the way everyone gasps, and then Mr Obie is shoving his dad away from the stand while trying to talk over him.

He isn't very nice.

-----------------

His dad goes to talk to Obie, and he's gone for a while.

They get back late that night, and Peter hugs his dad from where they're sitting on the couch, and his dad doesn't pull away.

He seems worried though.

"Dad?"

He barely noticed the change in name, and misses the slight tensing of the man beside him.

"Yeah, Pete?"

Peter looked up, his wide eyes worried. "Did they hurt you?"

Tony sank back against the couch cushions, pulling Peter closer, and resting his chin on the brown curls. "Yeah. But I'm okay now."

Peter smiled against Tony's shirt. "Why are you hugging me?"

His dad stilled, hand dropping from Peter's back. "Because I want to."

"Oh." Peter snuggled closer. "Okay. I like it when you hug me. Miss Jenny says that lots of people don't like hugs. My mom didn't hug me. Do you like hugs?"

His dad shifted around, laying back on the couch with Peter curled against his side, and pulled a blanket over the two of them. "Yeah. I like them too. Why don't you try to get some sleep, bud?"

Peter obeyed, eyes closing of their own violation.

Tony slept well for the first time in weeks, hugging his son close.

-----------------

Pepper walked in the next morning, ready with a clipboard of papers for him to sign, and froze when she saw them, letting out a soft aww.

Tony shifted in his sleep, pulling Peter close, and letting out a content sigh.

Pepper left.

She had seen all she needed.

Those papers could wait.

---------------

Tony woke to soft breaths against his arm.

His right side was completely asleep, and there was a child attached to his arm.

Peter.

He shook his head softly, watching the small boy. Peter was growing on him, he had to admit.

The door opened, admitting Pepper. She waved, making her way over, waiting to speak until he could hear her whispering. "I need you to sign these papers, and then you can nap with your kid all day if you want."

He rolled his eyes. "I know, I know, I'm going soft."

Her smiles widened. "Yeah, well, 'dad' is a good look on you. Why don't you take him to the park or something? You don't have any work on your schedule."

He sat up, carefully shifting Peter's head onto a cushion. "I've got work, Pepper! I have to finish those upgrades."

Pepper pursed her lips. "I beg your pardon. You don't have any real work to do."

He scowled at her while she smirked at him, unfazed. "Have fun!" She said lightly, going back out the door with the signed papers.

Tony slumped back against the cushions, scowling playfully at the door. "Jarvis, remind me to-"

"Remind you to what, sir?"

Tony hesitated. "Uh- I forgot."

The AI's voice was dry. "Remind you to remember what you forgot? Noted."

"Pete." Tony shook the boy's shoulder. "Peter, wake up."

Peter stirred, pressing his face into Tony's shirt to block the sunlight. "'M tired. Don't wanna."

The billionaire's face lit up. "But Peter. I guess you don't want to go to the park."

Peter shot up, his head almost crashing into his dad's. "The park? I've never been to the park before!"

Tony laughed at Peter's shining eyes. "First time for everything, I guess."